L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 7, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #3,241 of 6,840
I wonder, could the Airmid be used as a pre-amp to the CFA3?
Sure. I'd likely request he build around an RK50 in that case though.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #3,242 of 6,840
I wonder, could the Airmid be used as a pre-amp to the CFA3?
I will let Keenan answer that officially, but in its current configuration there are no output jacks. There is only a pair of RCA inputs and a power cable socket in the rear.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #3,244 of 6,840
Thanks for the fantastic review @Monsterzero! Seems like the VO was a hit with the Airmid due to the better staging/imaging. Do you think you prefer the VO on the Airmid over the VC?
I would say I prefer the VO more than the VC on the Airmid. Another one of the traits I failed to mention in the review was the airiness of the Airmid, which accentuates an already strong trait of the VO. Its simply a brilliant pairing.

With the VC, I prefer to enhance the dynamics of it, and due to the fact that I can insert a six pack of 6bx7s into my GOTL, the Airmid simply cant replicate that sonic bombardment. Its important to stress though that the Airmid slams just as hard, if not harder than the GOTL when using identical tube rolls.

I was listening to my Sennheiser HD250 ( my fav non-ZMF headphone) while spending time in my psy trance folder, and the Airmid/HD250 combo was great, in fact id say the Airmid had slighty better sub bass control vs. GOTL, where the HD250 can sound a bit flabby on occasion.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #3,245 of 6,840
Oct 7, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,246 of 6,840
The Airmid review is live.

Thanks for the review @Monsterzero , very well done. RIP my free time? I guess we'll see lol.

@jaboki sorry at this time no pre-outs are being offered on the amp. If you are looking for a tube input to your CFA3, you'd probably be better served using something that outputs a line level voltage, like a DAC with tube output stage / buffer.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #3,248 of 6,840
Oct 7, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,249 of 6,840
I've included a link to the Airmid information post in my signature.

BTW @Monsterzero , last night I woke up at 1AM, couldn't fall back asleep, then saw your review, then REALLY couldn't sleep, now I'm running on fumes and I blame you LOL.

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #3,250 of 6,840
BTW @Monsterzero , last night I woke up at 1AM, couldn't fall back asleep, then saw your review, then REALLY couldn't sleep, now I'm running on fumes and I blame you LOL.
Always blame @Monsterzero - cannot go wrong with this strategy! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,251 of 6,840
Not good for much that requires physical effort today, so I am working on the chassis for @zach915m 's 45 amp. Done in CAD software so I don't have to move :)

For inspiration, I dragged the prototype out of my basement and to my desk upstairs. 45s lost in a sea of alligator clips.

PXL_20211007_174328499-4.jpg

Layout for this amp is a challenge, a lot to fit in the box.

I can say at least that the front panel is done, will look like so - knob center, panel meters, RCA inputs will be on the front panel (left), TRS jack (right).

45 Front.png

We'll see how far I get today. Will be building a DAC tomorrow. Once that is done along with the 45 amp, can focus entirely on Airmid.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #3,253 of 6,840
Oct 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #3,254 of 6,840
Zach's request or your design choice? Just curious...

My design choice, but of course I ran it by him first. All part of a low-noise layout.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,255 of 6,840
Not good for much that requires physical effort today, so I am working on the chassis for @zach915m 's 45 amp. Done in CAD software so I don't have to move :)

For inspiration, I dragged the prototype out of my basement and to my desk upstairs. 45s lost in a sea of alligator clips.

PXL_20211007_174328499-4.jpg

Layout for this amp is a challenge, a lot to fit in the box.

I can say at least that the front panel is done, will look like so - knob center, panel meters, RCA inputs will be on the front panel (left), TRS jack (right).

45 Front.png

We'll see how far I get today. Will be building a DAC tomorrow. Once that is done along with the 45 amp, can focus entirely on Airmid.

My design choice, but of course I ran it by him first. All part of a low-noise layout.

I'm fine with a huge chassis if that's what the design calls for ahhahah!

RCA on front panel fine with me if it makes the sonics optimized! Already seems to be a good conversation starter 😂

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back