L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 3, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #3,196 of 6,808
*THIS AMPLIFIER IS NO LONGER FOR SALE, sorry :/

The time has come to release my OTL amplifier.

I wanted to name the amplifier after something of personal significance, given the time in my life when this amplifier was developed, it will be called the Airmid after the Gaelic goddess of healing and resurrection.

The price is $2,600 USD.

Here is a photo of the amplifier with the stock tubes, however feet have been added in the final build. I will post additional photos when the amplifier is back from its tour.

PXL_20210811_234845477-2 (1).jpg

Here is a list of the main features of the amp:
  • Pair 6J5 / 6C5 input tubes – equivalents like 7A4 can be used with adapters
  • Pair of 6AS7G / 6080 / 5998 / 421A / 7236 / 7802 output tubes
  • Stock tubes are Russian 6S2S (6J5 equivalent) and 6H13C (6AS7G equivalent) – there will be a discount if the buyer does not want stock tubes included
  • HEXFRED diode rectified dual mono power supply
  • 30-second built-in time delay and soft start, allowing all tube heaters to fully warm before application of B+
  • Separate high-voltage super regulators for each channel, the topology of which was first shared with me by @A2029 of 1101 Audio. I credit him with launching my own interest and exploration of voltage regulator design which will be prominently featured in my work going forward. Please check out 1101 Audio’s excellent amplifier line as well :)
  • Active loading of both 6J5 inputs and 6AS7G outputs for highest detail retrieval, lowest distortion and noise
  • Signal path free of electrolytic capacitors for the highest degree of clarity and transparency
  • Large ClarityCap film output capacitors allowing for use of low impedance headphones with good low-frequency extension
  • 50ohm output impedance with 6AS7G / 6080; 30ohm output impedance with 5998 / 421A
  • Powder-coated or anodized aluminum chassis courtesy of Landfall Systems
In terms of ordering, Head-Fiers can private message me and we can talk further details. I'm very happy and excited to share something I've made on Head-Fi finally! I'm not sure what the demand will be, unlikely I will be able to keep up with high volume if it comes to it, but I will do my best.

There is a forthcoming review from @Monsterzero . @zach915m and the peeps at ZMF also spent time with the amplifier, so he may share some thoughts as well.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,197 of 6,808
Since the cat is officially out of the bag, here are a couple photos ive taken of Airmid. Note the Airmid has a considerably larger footprint vs. the GOTL and is nearly the same size as my TRP.
20210928_135137.jpg
20210928_224316.jpg

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #3,198 of 6,808

I wanted to name the amplifier after something of personal significance, given the time in my life when this amplifier was developed, it will be called the Airmid after the Gaelic goddess of healing and resurrection.

The price is $2,600 USD.

Here is a photo of the amplifier with the stock tubes, however feet have been added in the final build. I will post additional photos when the amplifier is back from its tour.

• Stock tubes are Russian 6S2S (6J5 equivalent) and 6H13C (6AS7G equivalent) – there will be a discount if the buyer does not want stock tubes included
  • 30-second built-in time delay and soft start, allowing all tube heaters to fully warm before application of B+
  • Separate high-voltage super regulators for each channel, the topology of which was first shared with me by @A2029 of 1101 Audio. I credit him with launching my own interest and exploration of voltage regulator design which will be prominently featured in my work going forward. Please check out 1101 Audio’s excellent amplifier line as well :)
  • Active loading of both 6J5 inputs and 6AS7G outputs for highest detail retrieval, lowest distortion and noise
  • Signal path free of electrolytic capacitors for the highest degree of clarity and transparency
  • Large ClarityCap film output capacitors allowing for use of low impedance headphones with good low-frequency extension
  • 50ohm output impedance with 6AS7G / 6080; 30ohm output impedance with 5998 / 421A
In terms of ordering, Head-Fiers can private message me and we can talk further details. I'm very happy and excited to share something I've made on Head-Fi finally! I'm not sure what the demand will be, unlikely I will be able to keep up with high volume if it comes to it, but I will do my best.

There is a forthcoming review from @Monsterzero . @zach915m and the peeps at ZMF also spent time with the amplifier, so he may share some thoughts as well.
Looks fab. Well done.

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3,200 of 6,808

The price is $2,600 USD.

Congrats Keenan! It’s been a blast following your DIY journey. This is a huge milestone! Can’t wait to hear impressions from trusted ears on the forum. Also what a perfect name. Music can be such a great way to heal and recover from the trials and tribulations of life. It will surely be special knowing your creation will be “amplifying the healing” for those fortunate enough to acquire one!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,201 of 6,808
We are waiting for the reviews than. Any indication when we can expect it?
I should have the review prepped, filmed and uploaded on my Youtube channel within the next 7-14 days. I will post the review in this thread.

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,202 of 6,808

The price is $2,600 USD.

Congratulations! It's amazing how far you've come in such a short period of time.

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,203 of 6,808
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the kind words. Looking forward to getting the Airmid out into the wild.

In other news, sounds like my DAC chassis will ship tomorrow, so looks like I will be able to build it before the end of the week :D

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,204 of 6,808

The price is $2,600 USD.

Congrats Keenan on the launch of Airmid! Looks fantastic!

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #3,205 of 6,808

The price is $2,600 USD.

Congrats Keenan.

A job very well done. :relaxed:

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,207 of 6,808
This is really cool, Keenan! Your progress is inspiring. It seems like yesterday you were just starting to fiddle around with your bottlehead crackatwoa!

Thanks, Carl! Yeah it has been quite a journey.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,208 of 6,808
Looking forward to (and fearing) the review by @Monsterzero
I know he is going to compare to his GOTL (which I also own).

Grabbing a notebook and pen, start writing 500 times: "I do not need yet another amp"... :angry:

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #3,210 of 6,808
Looking forward to (and fearing) the review by @Monsterzero
I know he is going to compare to his GOTL (which I also own).

Grabbing a notebook and pen, start writing 500 times: "I do not need yet another amp"... :angry:
In the words of Tom Petty..."Too Much Ain't Enough" :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back