L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jun 4, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #2,658 of 6,831
@UntilThen yeah, this was a cost-no-object amplifier. Given how long I worked on it though the cost was spread over many months, it went through several prototypes. The knowledge and experience gained though is worth at least as much as the amplifier, a lot of new circuit elements for me, much reading, learning, experimenting. Not sure what I am going to do next, probably best not to think out loud as it has gotten me into trouble in the past. Time will tell! But right now I need to repaint my porch :laughing:

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,659 of 6,831
It's good to be passionate about what you do. No doubt this amp will be special to you. You have an objective and that is to make a 801 amp and it turn out superb.

I have an objective with Odyssey too and I wouldn't call it money no object but I didn't hold back much. :) It's interesting to see 3 amps build pretty close to each other, using Sowter transformers. Your 801, Leftside amp and Odyssey.

Now all I have to do is wait for Sowter to deliver the transformers. Surprisingly demand for such parts are high even in pandemic times. My tubes to Tomas is still waiting on international flights to take off.

I spend a lot of time with Destiny, my 300b amp. It's like a perfect coupling with LCD4. Now Eric tells me he has a few confirm orders for Destiny. Jokingly ask me if I patent the name. I am glad the name stuck. It has an identity now. Not just any 300b amp but it's Destiny. :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,660 of 6,831
It's good to be passionate about what you do. No doubt this amp will be special to you. You have an objective and that is to make a 801 amp and it turn out superb.

I have an objective with Odyssey too and I wouldn't call it money no object but I didn't hold back much. :) It's interesting to see 3 amps build pretty close to each other, using Sowter transformers. Your 801, Leftside amp and Odyssey.

Now all I have to do is wait for Sowter to deliver the transformers. Surprisingly demand for such parts are high even in pandemic times. My tubes to Tomas is still waiting on international flights to take off.

I spend a lot of time with Destiny, my 300b amp. It's like a perfect coupling with LCD4. Now Eric tells me he has a few confirm orders for Destiny. Jokingly ask me if I patent the name. I am glad the name stuck. It has an identity now. Not just any 300b amp but it's Destiny. :)
My Sowter transformers have arrived in Canada :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,661 of 6,831

Yes, it is my baby 😭 801A is not an easy tube to use, didn't realize how far down the rabbit hole I would go when I signed up for it, but glad I did.

Sowter is hip right now :) Martin from Sowter told me this is the busiest they have seen the consumer audio market in the 20 years he has worked there. The busy times are part of the reason the custom mains line is going away.

Naming an amp certainly helps, gotta get that brand recognition, maybe Eric will join Head-Fi.

Looking forward to seeing the build!

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #2,662 of 6,831
Here are some more 6F5GT tubes.

Quad of Adzam from Portugal. Based on construction, I believe these are exported Sylvanias.

PXL_20210604_202915677-2.jpg

These ones are interesting, pair of early Tung-Sols. These might be the best of the GT types I have tried so far, and very well-matched when traced. Good ol' Tung-Sol QA.

PXL_20210604_204830401-3.jpg

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,663 of 6,831

Come on Sowter. Give me mine. Australia needs it too. :)

Yes, it is my baby 😭 801A is not an easy tube to use, didn't realize how far down the rabbit hole I would go when I signed up for it, but glad I did.

Sowter is hip right now :) Martin from Sowter told me this is the busiest they have seen the consumer audio market in the 20 years he has worked there. The busy times are part of the reason the custom mains line is going away.

Naming an amp certainly helps, gotta get that brand recognition, maybe Eric will join Head-Fi.

If Tomas didn't suggest Sowter, I wouldn't have known about Sowter transformers. I wanted Lundahl but they told Tomas that if custom trannies are required, will need to order 100. :rolling_eyes: One hundred !!! Might as well make it 300 - Spartacus !!!

Sowter must be wondering what happen to this crazy world suddenly ... I bet other DIY forums members are ordering their trannies too.

I name it Destiny and when Eric heard it, he was tickled pink and like it. So he ask if he could use the name for that configuration of 300b amp that he build. I say sure why not but I charged royalty !!! Just kidding. :relaxed:

Eric is a down right funny and a great guy. His jokes and statements floored me. He's very reserved though and I doubt he has time to participate in Head-Fi. Since @xtiva 's KT150 amp, he has been making amps non stop. He must be wondering why his orders has suddenly pick up. :ksc75smile: He has taken a well deserved weekend away.

Now back to your baby - your prized 801A amp. I've no doubt that is your pride and joy ! I am on the other hand waiting on Odyssey! Getting that Greek hero to come home is a challenge.

Jun 4, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2,664 of 6,831
If Tomas didn't suggest Sowter, I wouldn't have known about Sowter transformers. I wanted Lundahl but they told Tomas that if custom trannies are required, will need to order 100. :rolling_eyes: One hundred !!! Might as well make it 300 - Spartacus !!!

Sowter must be wondering what happen to this crazy world suddenly ... I bet other DIY forums members are ordering their trannies too.

I name it Destiny and when Eric heard it, he was tickled pink and like it. So he ask if he could use the name for that configuration of 300b amp that he build. I say sure why not but I charged royalty !!! Just kidding. :relaxed:

Eric is a down right funny and a great guy. His jokes and statements floored me. He's very reserved though and I doubt he has time to participate in Head-Fi. Since @xtiva 's KT150 amp, he has been making amps non stop. He must be wondering why his orders has suddenly pick up. :ksc75smile: He has taken a well deserved weekend away.

Now back to your baby - your prized 801A amp. I've no doubt that is your pride and joy ! I am on the other hand waiting on Odyssey! Getting that Greek hero to come home is a challenge.

Lundahl make nice transformers, but they make some compromises in terms of bandwidth to make their transformers more flexible, allowing multiple impedance ratios. Definitely still a good option, but if you need something more specific, custom is the way to go! I will use Lundahl again I'm sure, in fact if I ever build that HK54 amplifier they have a good output transformer for job.

Well it's nice to hear another DIY type of amplifier maker has emerged, hopefully he isn't overwhelmed LOL headphone audio has gotten big and it seems to me tastes are trending more toward boutique amplifier designs. I think the value proposition is much higher when you have an individual designing your amplifier as opposed to a more commercial operation.

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,665 of 6,831
it seems to me tastes are trending more toward boutique amplifier designs

It's exciting with boutique amp designs. I'm caught in the thick of action in seeing a custom KT150 (and variants) amp being build with transformers from SAC Thailand. Power transformer, output transformers, choke all from SAC and with covers. This one's a beast being able to output 20 watts in UL mode. Not sure how many in triode.

I get to test it. :)

A look at Silk transformers from their website and it's very interesting. Some of the builds in the gallery are amazing.
http://www.sacthailand.com/

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,666 of 6,831
Well it's nice to hear another DIY type of amplifier maker has emerged, hopefully he isn't overwhelmed LOL headphone audio has gotten big and it seems to me tastes are trending more toward boutique amplifier designs. I think the value proposition is much higher when you have an individual designing your amplifier as opposed to a more commercial operation.

Like any of the rest of us will ever have a chance to hear one. @UntilThen buys everything they make. :laughing: :laughing:

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,668 of 6,831
Jun 5, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,670 of 6,831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back