L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,011 of 6,797
First batch of ultrasonically cleaned records is done! Waiting for them to dry to get a play test. Trickiest part is getting arm level such that all of the grooves are submerged, padded card table is not going to work long term as the weight of the tank affects the level of the platform, so will need to swap that out. Filtration system isn't up and running yet, package with parts was supposedly delivered but never actually made it to my doorstep.

IMAG2992-2.jpg

Not practical for me but glad you are having success with this method! Maybe you could stack some of those together and make a frisbee.

Your ultra sonic cleaning machine is very cool, LG!
I'm coming over, with a couple arm loads of LP's..

:wink:

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,013 of 6,797

I'm doing 3 minutes per revolution for 15 minutes. But I'm only doing 2 records at a time based on the pattern I got from the tin foil test (which will be very tank dependent).

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #2,014 of 6,797
Lost an influential electronic artist today, RIP SOPHIE. She was really just getting started, sad we won't get to see what was coming next...

I'm going to US clean some more records tomorrow morning, need to experiment some more on the timing, but so far the results are good.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #2,015 of 6,797
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #2,016 of 6,797
To cats, we are their support staff that they continually have to train…
Not only do they employ positive and negative reinforcement, but ignoring us is part of their clever feline plan to keep us off balance and wondering, just so they can maintain control… :smirk:
hahahahahahahahahaha :wink:

JJ

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,017 of 6,797
Gang...it has been awhile since I did too much DIY electronics work.

I am seeing descriptions of parts that differ from what I remembered:

3K9 resistor

Is that what us old timers used to write as being a:

3.9K resistor?

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,018 of 6,797
Gang...it has been awhile since I did too much DIY electronics work.

I am seeing descriptions of parts that differ from what I remembered:

3K9 resistor

Is that what us old timers used to write as being a:

3.9K resistor?

They are the same! Just different conventions. R is used in place of a decimal point in the 3K9 method. So 8.2Ohm = 8R2. 3,900Ohm = 3.9K = 3K9. 2.7MOhm = 2.7M = 2M7

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #2,020 of 6,797
Did some more ultrasonic cleaning today. Here is where it will live, hidden next to the water heater :) padded table is gone, level is much better now.

IMAG2996-2.jpg

I found I could accelerate the drying process by letting the records continue to rotate at the same speed once elevated out of the bath, so will likely do that while preparing the next batch going forward. I'm finding the inner and outer edges of the records are not being cleaned as well as the interior, only the first and last 30 seconds of play or so, think I need to fill the tank a bit more, there is some wiggle room, to get more of the record in the center, I suspect the periphery of the tank are not as effective.

Even so, it is doing a MUCH better job than old methods, very happy so far. My girlfriend was very proud to find this $1 copy of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, but "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide" would skip in the middle of the track and proceed to loop the middle of the song no matter how many times it was cleaned and without a visible scratch. Well happy to say the skip is now gone! Hundreds of dollars and numerous hours later, we were able to save this $1 record, makes it all worth it :joy:

IMAG3000-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #2,021 of 6,797
Well happy to say the skip is now gone! Hundreds of dollars and numerous hours later, we were able to save this $1 record, makes it all worth it :joy:

Sweet! And FWIW, none of us ever doubted you had your priorities right. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #2,022 of 6,797
Did some more ultrasonic cleaning today. Here is where it will live, hidden next to the water heater :) padded table is gone, level is much better now.

IMAG2996-2.jpg

I found I could accelerate the drying process by letting the records continue to rotate at the same speed once elevated out of the bath, so will likely do that while preparing the next batch going forward. I'm finding the inner and outer edges of the records are not being cleaned as well as the interior, only the first and last 30 seconds of play or so, think I need to fill the tank a bit more, there is some wiggle room, to get more of the record in the center, I suspect the periphery of the tank are not as effective.

Even so, it is doing a MUCH better job than old methods, very happy so far. My girlfriend was very proud to find this $1 copy of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, but "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide" would skip in the middle of the track and proceed to loop the middle of the song no matter how many times it was cleaned and without a visible scratch. Well happy to say the skip is now gone! Hundreds of dollars and numerous hours later, we were able to save this $1 record, makes it all worth it :joy:

IMAG3000-2.jpg
And that's a very good record.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #2,023 of 6,797
Well happy to say the skip is now gone! Hundreds of dollars and numerous hours later, we were able to save this $1 record, makes it all worth it :joy:

Have had the exact same experiences with the wood glue method. Outer most and inner most grooves hardest to get perfect. With wood glue you make sure it is extra thick in those two areas.

Have also fixed many a skipper.

But, it is also true that sometimes there is physical damage caused by a damaged stylus and no amount of trying to save 'er works.

Have some really old and rare blues LP's that unfortunately, are indeed physically damaged. Need to toss them in the trash, but so far have just not been able to get myself to do it :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #2,024 of 6,797
Anybody in here work on SMD? I have a Liquid Spark that works as preamp but the headphone section has gone distorted.

Reading some posts somewhere, it was said that connecting the power with the unit turned on, will fry some SMD component that is near the relay (usually waits a long time after you press the on button for the relay to engage). This is probably what happened to mine.

If someone is up to seeing whats what...would be interesting to see if it can be put to right.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #2,025 of 6,797
Step #1
What size are they?

That will determine if a hot air rework station is 'required' or not…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back