L-shaped right-angle mini plug adverse to sound quality?
Jun 9, 2002 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sTaTIx

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to buy this,

910-0771.jpg

a right-angle, mini-to-mini adapter, to complement the new pair of headphones that I'm planning on getting (most likely a pair of Grados) mainly for use with a portable player. I mentioned this to an audiophile/engineer friend of mine, and he remarked that a right angle, L-shaped adapter, such as the one above, could very possibly affect the sound quality. He went into some shady physics terminology about how the neutrons, or electrons, or whatever, hitting a sudden sharp turn (as opposed to a curved turn like the bending of a cord) would disrupt their movement somehow and consequently affect the sound quality.

My question: would something like the thing above adversely change the sound of the Grados? The L-shape is really important to me; I've always liked the curved, L-shaped mini-jacks of most portable headphones that make them so streamlined for portability and easier to tuck away along with my portable players. However, I think I'll forego the use of this adapter if it turns out to kill the sound in any way.

Jun 9, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, I have no idea whether a right angle will affect sound quality, but if it does, then it may not even be a right angle inside there at all. They may have constructed it to curve the wire inside the plastic, L-shaped shell. Maybe you should buy 2 and crack one open.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 9
The overall quality of the adaptor may , probably would, have an affect on sound. However, I really doubt that the "Right Angle" has any affect at all.

If it's a decent quality piece, I don't think it would have any noticeable affect

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 9
there are changes in directions inside components big time , if the sound required straight line to sound good what would that system look like. Get a new friend
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 9
The part you show is currently on sale for $1.67 at Radio Shack (regular price $2.39). Why not just buy one and see how it performs on your own equipment? If it degrades the sound, you’re out only for the cost of a large soda. Heck, if you don’t like it, you can even return it for a refund.

Jun 13, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Turns out I need a quarter-to-mini adapter, as opposed to the mini-to-mini one shown above, since my new pair of headphones will terminate with a 1/4" jack, not a 1/8" like I originally presumed. Anyone know where I'd be able to get a right-angle quarter-to-mini adapter?

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Sorry so late. 
The angles should have no difference. There are all kinds of right angles in electronics / components / and especially in circuitry including non digital. If you take apart the chassis of a analogue component / amp, you will find the leads that come out from the teeny amplifier module which are usually not bent in a "easier on the electrons fashion" ,  but contrary; they are coming from some micro 95 degree angles in that green super highway of electronics stuff. Look at a chip board and notice all those sharp bends that lead into the wafer board (that pretty metallic green and cardboard-manilla color).
wink_face.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 9
No effect on sound quality

/endthread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back