L Shape plugs vs Straight plugs
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 9
one is shaped like an L and one is straight I.

that is the only difference, both have ups and downs, a straight plug would be an advantage in circumstances where the cable would be better coming straight such as if your mp3 player is is your shirt pocket. the main advantage of the L shape plug is its a little less likely you snap or bend and damage the phones or mp3 player while in your pocket.

hope this helps.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 9
L-shaped plugs are better when the headphone jack is on the left or right side of your DAP because their cords will have much less strain and tension as opposed to I-shaped plugs. I-shaped plugs are better when the jack is on the top or bottom of the DAP.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 9
That's the real answer:
Quote:
one is shaped like an L and one is straight I.

None is better "per se". I mean:
  1. To use with an mp3 player that has the audio jack located in one side, maybe I would prefer an L-shaped connector (because it should be less prone to break it I keep it in my pocket).
  2. To use it in *my* desktop I prefer a straight one (because if I accidentally pull it should get disconnected without breaking)

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't have good experiences with straight plug. They tend to have too much pressure on the plug area and cause intermittent sound due to daily usage no matter how well I took care of it. L plug protrudes lesser from your player so lesser pressure on the plug.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 9
But when L-plugs protrude from the bottom or top of your mp3 the strain relief is being bent at a 90 degree angle, giving the cord stress and tension - decreasing the life of your cord.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Honestly, it all depends on where you use your earphones/headphones and how you use it.

For me, I always hold my source in 1 hand in a pouch, thus I find that the straight plug is the choice for me, especially since the wire doesn't need to bend when I place it in my pocket. Also, a right angled will get in the way of my LOD with my amp, whereas a straight will not.

I've heard issues about stress on the jack, but it really depends on how one carries the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back