L:ooking to get the best portable setup.
Jan 27, 2003 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
Here's my components-

Pana SLCT-570 PCDP to
JMT Silver Lace with right angle connectors to
Meta 42 to
Beyer 770 Pro

Here's my question, what do you think the best way to setup the meta is, Opamp, Pac, Batteries, inputs, outputs?

Jan 27, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 8
I thought the Meta42 only uses opamp? Definitely battery, since this will be a portable setup.

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Are you completely decided on the PCDP?
People here have said that the newer Sony PCDP's have pretty good line outs that sound better than the SL-CT570. The Panasonic is known more for its headphone out quality. Of course, no modern portable would sound as good as an old Sony or the famous Optimus, but those aren't very "portable" because of the lack of anti-skip and crappy battery life. Are you planning on listening on the go, or are you going to be pretty stationary? Because then you could get an old-school Sony for a very low price and power it off a big battery pack... Yes, that would probably make a damn nice "transportable" setup. Just make sure not to bump the player.
wink.gif
Or you could maybe get a hold of a D-777? Those have good anti-skip and there are lots of fans of its sound.

Most people have been pleased with the AD8620 for the opamp.

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 8
AD8620 w/fet class A biasing, 2x el2001 buffers(min), 2x9v batteries.

If extended battery life is the concern, drop the fets, and use 1-el2001 and replace the ad8620 with ad823's.

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Are you completely decided on the PCDP?
People here have said that the newer Sony PCDP's have pretty good line outs that sound better than the SL-CT570.

I found that they sounded similar. I think it comes down to what ever you can get cheaper.

Biggie.

Feb 2, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 8
I think the most cost-effective way to set up a meta42 is to get a really nice case with a fancy power switch & volume knob, and a straightwire going from the inputs to the outputs.

oh yeah, don't forget blue LEDs and a "Got Meta?" sticker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back