L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #4,262 of 4,419
For thos who are interested :wink:

Platine von unten.jpg

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #4,267 of 4,419
Those are the 1.1A @ 120mOhms that I originally listed.

They are 60% the height of the original inductors (0.5mm vs 0.9mm). Also take note that the datasheet states in Section 11.4:
"* Avoid a direct contact of the tip of the soldering iron with the product. Such a direct contact may cause cracks in the ceramic body due to thermal shock."

They also recommend pre-heating @ 150 deg C for one minute before soldering and less than 3 second soldering time.

Without hot air, your best bet would be to clean both pads, add solder to one pad, using a small tip heat the pad with solder at the edge of the pad and bring the inductor into the solder with tweezers, then remove the soldering tip and heat the other pad at the edge as you bring in solder to melt on the second pad, avoiding contact with the inductor. Solder should not rise above the top edge of the inductor.

I used a pre-heater for the board and hot air. I did not change the 5th inductor at the OCXO because I use a Pulsar clock that operates within the 200ma current limit. In the future, I may change the secondary regulator out altogether to increase the current available to the clock and would make any auxiliary component changes at that time.

If the low smd chip height is a concern, an alternative might be the LQM21PHR47NG0D which is 0.9mm height @ 1.3A @ 94mOhms.

Monolithic,
Have you replaced the inductors in your DAC? Has it improved the sound or is it just a minor upgrade?

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #4,268 of 4,419
I'll be selling my MH-DA004 soon enough, if anyone is interested

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #4,274 of 4,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back