KZ ZSN Pro
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aceedburn

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got these babies. They are an improvement over the older ZSN in every way. Here’s my short YouTube review on the KZ ZSN Pro.

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 14
Great video, thanks, I'm using over ear Sennheiser PX100II now which are quite bassy and loud (114db). I see that the Pro are more sensitive (112db) than the non pro (104db) and you say it's better bass.. so I might go for it, even though a little bit more expensive. Thanks a lot!

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 14
Great video, thanks, I'm using over ear Sennheiser PX100II now which are quite bassy and loud (114db). I see that the Pro are more sensitive (112db) than the non pro (104db) and you say it's better bass.. so I might go for it, even though a little bit more expensive. Thanks a lot!
Yes, the bass digs deeper than the non pro but never boomy and never creeps into the mids or highs. Highs are more refined and more detailed. For the price, it’s a steal.

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Excellent, thanks. I'm already looking for the Pro version in Amazon, as it's not yet in my country, i'll see if I can buy abroad. Yep a very good price indeed. I'm using FiiO products (M6 etc) so I'm always on a budget down here! :)

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 14
Excellent, thanks. I'm already looking for the Pro version in Amazon, as it's not yet in my country, i'll see if I can buy abroad. Yep a very good price indeed. I'm using FiiO products (M6 etc) so I'm always on a budget down here! :)
Aliexpress would be a great option for you. They usually ship for free globally and shipping is pretty quick as well.

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 14
True - that's my second alternative (if I buy Amazon it would be thru an importer, they add an extra cost). From Aliexpress it would be so cheap and even might get a coupon.. but our customs could take months here to deliver it to me..
If I'm patient or if the other option is too expensive I'll go for it, definitely.

May 23, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 14
Just got these yesterday and I'm very impressed.
Comparing to Mee P1 (MSRP $200), KZN Pro have way better bass response, a bit more laid-back midrange (this creates soundstage depth to me, not a bad thing actually) and a bit over-emphasized highs.
This adds some "shimmer" (for the lack of a better word) to tracks, though it's usually not distracting but rather creates a sense of superb detail. Very involving sound.
With well-produced electronic music (like Solar Fields or Shpongle) it's very easy to lose yourself in listening to all the extra detail put in the background by producers, almost forgetting about the rest of the song.

I tried using tips from Mee P1, made from semi-transparent silicone and the treble peak is not present with those, making them sounding much like P1.
I received some foam tips as a gift - they also tone down the treble for more balanced presentation, but I just really like the V-shape that I get with the stock tips.

The bass is lower than the Sony MH1C (bought for about $15) I have, so ZSN Pro are not bass-head IEMs, unless one uses EQ.
The bass on the KZN Pro doesn't overshadow the rest of the spectrum, though.

Makes me wonder about KZ ZS10 Pro, still not very expensive but reportedly more balanced.

May 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 14
I received these recently as well. Compared to the regular KZ ZSN, it is much more natural to me. The ZSN seem instrument forward rather than vocals when you compare the ZSN and the PRO. Bass is good on the Pro but still not quite the same as last year's ES4 which has been my pair for a while. If you try Royals by Lorde, it thumps you without EQ. I do want to try the ZS10 Pro as well and the KZ AS16 for fun but at $100+, that might not be the sweet spot for KZ.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 14
After spending some more time listening, the treble spike does bother me.
It's not exactly unpleasant, but often certain percussive sounds are stealing the focus.

After some more listening with the provided foam tips from KZ, they still sound very clear but more balanced.
But I don't like the poor life time of foam tips, so I checked out some tips from my no longer working Brianwavz proAlpha.

Those tips have a narrower tube, which helps in reducing treble. I like it.

Does anyone use different non-stock tips with KZN Pros and they like the effect?

May 30, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 14
After spending some more time listening, the treble spike does bother me.
It's not exactly unpleasant, but often certain percussive sounds are stealing the focus.

After some more listening with the provided foam tips from KZ, they still sound very clear but more balanced.
But I don't like the poor life time of foam tips, so I checked out some tips from my no longer working Brianwavz proAlpha.

Those tips have a narrower tube, which helps in reducing treble. I like it.

Does anyone use different non-stock tips with KZN Pros and they like the effect?
The treble spike does not seem to appear on my sources. I use Sony ZX300 pre-dominantly. As for the tips, I tend to preferJVC Spiral Dots and i think they will fit your needs well as they do tame the treble harshness quite significantly and tightens the bass as well. I love these tips!

May 30, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 14
I'll need to get those custom tips. My ZSN PRO impressed me! It was a world of difference with my Sennheiser over ears as expected. Lots of changes of course. I've felt the need to dig deeper in my ear to really feel the sound. That's more a problem of the change of headphones type of course. At first I felt the harsh treble in the ZSN pro.. but when coming back to the Senns they felt.. dull. I'll need more time for this big move!

May 31, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 14
The treble spike does not seem to appear on my sources. I use Sony ZX300 pre-dominantly. As for the tips, I tend to preferJVC Spiral Dots and i think they will fit your needs well as they do tame the treble harshness quite significantly and tightens the bass as well. I love these tips!

Thanks, I was contemplating spirals or spinfits, though they cost half the price of ZSN Pros here.
Which spiral dot model do you use? There's few of them.

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 14
After some more listening, I settled down on the bundled silicone tips with the small incisions near the ear-facing end of the tip.
Those tips are slightly narrower and have a longer tube and the sound I perceive from them is not as aggressive in the highs (but definitely bright, there's no changing that).
Could be that some treble energy dissipates in the ear canal due to larger distance from the base membrane to the sound tube.

Anyway, I'm really liking the ZSN Pro and while I'm curious about ZS10 Pro and ZS7 (one of those I'll likely purchase soon), I really recommend those for those searching for a lively, oversaturated but very satisfying sound.
I especially love the deep bass and and how they pick up the quietest background sounds in electronic music, while still sounding open and spacious.
Not so good for rock music, which is not mixed for soundstage and details and this uneven frequency balance can be bothering.

Anyone here has any of the above mentioned KZs? How do they fare against ZSN Pro? Is it a definite improvement or a matter of taste?

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks, I was contemplating spirals or spinfits, though they cost half the price of ZSN Pros here.
Which spiral dot model do you use? There's few of them.
As far as I know there’s only 1 model of JVC spiral dots. But they have different sizes. I use the ML size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back