KZ Zex's took an instant poop! Searching for better IEM's.
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been on here in ages, but I'm back, and now playing around with IEM's. And speaking of IEM's...

My first pair were short-lived. All of 10 to 15 minutes...

Listening for a few minutes and deciding that I need to move up from the medium ear tips (that came on them) to the large ear tips. The right one came off and went on just fine. The left one... Well, you see what happened. So back they went. Though I can say, I have not read any reviews of this particular issue, so I'm sure it's just a fluke thing with the pair I got.

With that being said, I'm going to be going with something different. These gave me a taste of good IEM's, so I am now in the market for IEM's for no more than $330.

And speaking of upgrades, I just received the FiiO M6 last Saturday. Great sounding little unit that I used for the past week at work. What arrived with them was also a pair of brand new Jaybird Vista's. The Visa's are staying, but I just ordered a HiBy R5 Saber. The M6 is great, but man does it get sluggish real quick, and the screen is a bit too small and "touchy" if you know what I mean.

p2230639606-5.jpg

p2230639609-5.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 15

I've actually been looking at those, as well as the Ikko OH10, the Mangird Tea, the TRI Starsea, and a couple others that I accidently closed the window tabs out on. Haha

The one thing I don't like about those TRI Starsea's are those darn little switches. Not too keen on that. But I have been leaning towards the B2's you mentioned.

Been reading reviews, watching YT reviews.

My music library consists of pretty much everything minus country, rap and death metal. Everything else I listen to though, so I want something that's going to be tame and controlled throughout the entire frequency range.

And as I said above, I have the HiBy R5 Saber coming, which I plan on getting a balanced cable for whatever IEM's I get. And considering how robust that unit seems to be, I'm not too sure how much I would benefit from getting a stand-alone DAC/amp.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 15
I haven't been on here in ages, but I'm back, and now playing around with IEM's. And speaking of IEM's...

Listening for a few minutes and deciding that I need to move up from the medium ear tips (that came on them) to the large ear tips. The right one came off and went on just fine. The left one... Well, you see what happened. So back they went. Though I can say, I have not read any reviews of this particular issue, so I'm sure it's just a fluke thing with the pair I got.

With that being said, I'm going to be going with something different. These gave me a taste of good IEM's, so I am now in the market for IEM's for no more than $330.

And speaking of upgrades, I just received the FiiO M6 last Saturday. Great sounding little unit that I used for the past week at work. What arrived with them was also a pair of brand new Jaybird Vista's. The Visa's are staying, but I just ordered a HiBy R5 Saber. The M6 is great, but man does it get sluggish real quick, and the screen is a bit too small and "touchy" if you know what I mean.

p2230639606-5.jpg

p2230639609-5.jpg

U can read about the LZ A7. It has 10 tuning signatures from V shaped to U shaped to neutralish, so extremely versatile.

Has very good tonality, technicalities, fit and isolation. Timbre is also very good considering it is a piezo containing tribid.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 15
U can read about the LZ A7. It has 10 tuning signatures from V shaped to U shaped to neutralish, so extremely versatile.

Has very good tonality, technicalities, fit and isolation. Timbre is also very good considering it is a piezo containing tribid.
Those get good reviews, but I'm extremely concerned about those piezo drivers. I have yet to find a single piezo driver that I have been able to listen to without some sort of shrill and/or fatigue.

A couple of other IEM's that have caught my attention are the Tipsy Dummer Pro and Shuoer Tape Pro.

I'm also searching for possibly an all BA model for around the $330 price. I thought I read about one a few days ago, but can't seem to find it now. I know BA's aren't the last word in bass extension and all, but I know they're great at detail retrieval.

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 15
Those get good reviews, but I'm extremely concerned about those piezo drivers. I have yet to find a single piezo driver that I have been able to listen to without some sort of shrill and/or fatigue.

A couple of other IEM's that have caught my attention are the Tipsy Dummer Pro and Shuoer Tape Pro.

I'm also searching for possibly an all BA model for around the $330 price. I thought I read about one a few days ago, but can't seem to find it now. I know BA's aren't the last word in bass extension and all, but I know they're great at detail retrieval.

I'm treble sensitive and I generally dislike most budget IEM piezo implementation, but I have to say the LZ A7 on some filters (red and gold in particular +/- black) have minimal sibilance/treble shoutiness. One of the best piezo implementation here. Anyways, that's the selling point about the LZ A7, since there are 10 tuning options, so almost everyone from trebleheads/folks with hearing loss to treble sensitive folks can find an appropriate tuning.

If u are looking for an all BA set, you can read about the Audiosense T800. It is my current daily driver for stage monitoring, 8 Knowles BA set, mild V shaped, very good technicalities and superb isolation of 30ish dB passive isolation. LZ A7 still beats the T800 in timbre and technicalities, and the T800 can get a bit hot in the upper mids/lower treble, so perhaps not the best option if u are treble sensitive. T800 even though it is a BA bass, the subwoofer is vented, so it sounds very close to a DD bass in terms of subbass extension and movement of air. In general though, other pure BA bass sets sound a bit unnatural in the bass as they don't move air like a DD bass (in general).

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm treble sensitive and I generally dislike most budget IEM piezo implementation, but I have to say the LZ A7 on some filters (red and gold in particular +/- black) have minimal sibilance/treble shoutiness. One of the best piezo implementation here. Anyways, that's the selling point about the LZ A7, since there are 10 tuning options, so almost everyone from trebleheads/folks with hearing loss to treble sensitive folks can find an appropriate tuning.

If u are looking for an all BA set, you can read about the Audiosense T800. It is my current daily driver for stage monitoring, 8 Knowles BA set, mild V shaped, very good technicalities and superb isolation of 30ish dB passive isolation. LZ A7 still beats the T800 in timbre and technicalities, and the T800 can get a bit hot in the upper mids/lower treble, so perhaps not the best option if u are treble sensitive. T800 even though it is a BA bass, the subwoofer is vented, so it sounds very close to a DD bass in terms of subbass extension and movement of air. In general though, other pure BA bass sets sound a bit unnatural in the bass as they don't move air like a DD bass (in general).
Yes! The Audiosense T800's are the ones I was looking at. Quite intriguing and seem to have some pretty good reviews.

I'm not an extreme bass-head, but I do want deep bass when and where it's required, and without any bloat/bloom.

That's one thing that I noticed right away with my very brief time with the Zax. The bass was deep and punchy, but it was also a little bit on the sluggish and bloated side. And yes, I know they weren't broken in, but I did have them up and running the night before on the FiiO M6, playing an old album favorite with lots of lows and highs, transients and dynamics, 311's Transistor album on repeat with the volume set to 65. They were running from about 7pm the night before to yesterday afternoon around 5pm, so roughly 22 hours non-stop.

I listen to all types of classical which includes some opera, orchestral, piano and a lot of pipe organ. Since I used to be in an orchestra, played the piano, upright bass, violin, viola and cello as well as the pipe organ and also worked on pipe organs for years with my father, I'm very familiar with the actual sound of the real deal up close and personal, so when I hear a pair of speakers or headphones, etc, etc that throw a wrench into the works, it's a bit of a letdown to say the least.

This isn't limited to classical as I also listen to jazz and blues, all of which are typically recorded in various venues and not studios. So being able to retrieve the acoustics of the actual venue is important to me, giving me that openness and spaciousness.

Anyway, a long story short, this is why the Audiosense T800's are intriguing to me. Being that they use nothing but really light and fast BA drivers, and are capable of really good bass, these might be the best option for me... At last to start out with anyway.

This is why I have always gravitated to magneplanar, electrostatic and open baffle loudspeakers for my home system with great, sealed subwoofers.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 15
A couple other all BA IEM's I just found are the TANSIO MIRAI TSMR-4 Pro and Shozy & NEO BG. Though from what I'm reading so far, the T800's may still be leading that bunch a little in overall performance, with the TSMR-4 Pro being second.

More reading to do!

So now it seems my short list is...

Audiosense T800
Tansio Mirai TSMR-4 Pro
BGVP DM7
Shozy & Neo BG

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 15
A couple other all BA IEM's I just found are the TANSIO MIRAI TSMR-4 Pro and Shozy & NEO BG. Though from what I'm reading so far, the T800's may still be leading that bunch a little in overall performance, with the TSMR-4 Pro being second.

More reading to do!

So now it seems my short list is...

Audiosense T800
Tansio Mirai TSMR-4 Pro
BGVP DM7
Shozy & Neo BG

What's with the old stuff unless they are super cheap now or something but 3 out of 4 haven't aged that well. Tansio Mirai can still hold it's own AFAIK.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 15
What's with the old stuff unless they are super cheap now or something but 3 out of 4 haven't aged that well. Tansio Mirai can still hold it's own AFAIK.
I didn't realize they were old models. I was just doing Google searches and clicking on links and not even looking at the review dates.

I'm definitely open to suggestions on new, current models of course.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 15
Well I know they are a little bit more than I wanted to spend, and they aren't BA's or even hybrids for that matter, but these Unique Melody UM 3DT's are quite attractive, sound-wise, as well as visually. From what I've read so far, very well received.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 15
To clarify, this is KZ ZAX, not ZEX, which now exists.

And to rec the OP, 7Hz Timeless. :wink:

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 15

p2230639606-5.jpg

p2230639609-5.jpg
Dear, Can you please share some more pictures with us?

People have been talking on facebook
(ChiFi reviews group)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2386473901653225/permalink/2835748746725736/?app=fbl

saying those BAs around DD are blocked by glue. Can you check that with your unit, if all BAs in your unit are opened in to the main chamber properly and all those BAs are functional / make sounds?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 15
7Hz Timeless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back