Kylesa - Static Tensions
Dec 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Li Ching Yuen

100+ Head-Fier
This is probably the most exciting metal record I've heard in a long time.

Do you agree?

Any other albums/artists that have raised the bar in your opinion in the last years?

Besides the usual Mastodon, Machine Head, Opeth etc...

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the nice find. I would say along similar lines: Baroness, Blue Album. An excellent follow up to a stellar debut album.

I don't see/hear all the hype with the Baroness

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Baroness, Blue Album. An excellent follow up to a stellar debut album.

From what I've heard from the band, I think they're pretty bad.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 15
I love the drum sound on this album. It lifts the experience of listening to the album akin to a ritual, awesome on the Senn IE8. It's the best Kylesa has done yet, and i've been spinning it constantly this year.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the drum sound on this album. It lifts the experience of listening to the album akin to a ritual, awesome on the Senn IE8. It's the best Kylesa has done yet, and i've been spinning it constantly this year.

They have two drummers.

On the mix, they put one on the left side and the other on the right.

AND

They almost never play the same thing, which makes things very interesting.

@Joelby: I didn't hear too much of them mate, but I can guarantee that what I have heard was quite forgettable.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I think you should give the blue record a full listen before you pass them up.

Anyway, I'll try again: ISIS, Wavering Radiant. If you can't agree with that, then all hope is lost...

Lol, Wavering Radiant is the most overhyped record of the year, it's not even Isis's best record, on the contrary, it's one of their worst, and most boring.

Isis is not really that great, compared to other bands from the post metal genre, and no I'm not referring to Neurosis, which I refuse to put in this limited genre.

Cult of Luna for example is a FAR FAR better band than Isis.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I can agree with Cult of Luna being a great band.

I'm really getting the "My metal is better than your metal" vibe from you Yuen. It's perfectly fine to dislike an album. Bashing it doesn't accomplish anything.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I can agree with Cult of Luna being a great band.

I'm really getting the "My metal is better than your metal" vibe from you Yuen. It's perfectly fine to dislike an album. Bashing it doesn't accomplish anything.

Nope, not at all.

I'm one of the few that disagrees that there should be a general consensus on which album is good or not. I know, that, in the end, it all comes down to taste and preference.

But I felt I had to mention a couple of things. As for Isis, i'm not saying they're bad, no, actually not at all. In their own right, they're quite brilliant at times.

The topic was about how I, a "veteran" listener of metal/rock, got pleasantly impressed by a new band, with a semi-new, fresh sound.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of the few that disagrees that there should be a general consensus on which album is good or not. I know, that, in the end, it all comes down to taste and preference.

Maybe you could practice this philosophy to a greater extent on the forum. I was offering my opinon based on personal taste and preference and that didn't go over so well with you, did it? If you need to vent on a band, youtube is at your service...

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Maybe you could practice this philosophy to a greater extent on the forum. I was offering my opinon based on personal taste and preference and that didn't go over so well with you, did it? If you need to vent on a band, youtube is at your service...

You're really pulling my leg for nothing.

But anyway, this is totally useless.

And that "if you don't like Wavering Radient, than all hope is lost" sounded pretty condescending to me, from your part.

So I don't know if I should be the one heading to youtube. But I feel the thread has derailed too much, which is a misfortune, and a waste of time for both of us. So let's call it quits, ok?... We got off the wrong foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back