KX Drivers + Klipsch Bass redirection setting?
Aug 21, 2004 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mrplow

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, does anyone here have a recommended setting for Bass Redirection using the KX Drivers for the SBLive! 5.1 series? The speakers I am using are the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 series, and the specs do not list the subwoofer crossover frequency. In that case, is 120 Hz the best option, since it is the LFE crossover frequency? Thanks...

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Would it help at all? Because you're not using the "centre/bass" output channel, and your speakers already have their own crossovers inside, which you can't change without a soldering iron most of the time ... So no matter what you try to do with your dual-stereo audio output, the circuits inside the subwoofer will still do their stuff to it right?

Aug 21, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Maybe I have the terminology confused.... The KX Mixer has a Bass Redirection setting, which I thought was synonymous with changing the Subwoofer Crossover frequency. The Bass Redirection setting has a range of settings from 10 hz to 320 hz. I can definitely hear a difference across the spectrum as I move the slider... what I am wondering is whether or not there is an optimal value for this system, so that frequencies aren't misappropriated to either the subwoofer or satellites.

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 8
The problem with the 'bass redirection' of the live 5.1 is that there is most certainly a crossover internally in the promedias that redirect the bass sent to the satallites to the sub. Now the 'bass redirection' doesn't cut out the bass from the satallite signal.. but it *does* adjust the cutoff of the bass signal to the sub. That renders it kind of useless.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 8
The only thing that has me confused is that with the KX drivers under the Bass Redirection setting the slider is referred to as "Split Frequency," which had believing that it adjusted the split frequency between the satellites and subwoofer. So I guess what you're saying is that the frequencie are being split, but the ones that aren't going to the subwoofer are just being lost?

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrplow
The only thing that has me confused is that with the KX drivers under the Bass Redirection setting the slider is referred to as "Split Frequency," which had believing that it adjusted the split frequency between the satellites and subwoofer. So I guess what you're saying is that the frequencie are being split, but the ones that aren't going to the subwoofer are just being lost?

That might actually make sense, but I don't thing it works that way. Don't try to adjust the xover's via the computer. I've tried, my PM4.1's don't respond to any changes in crossover via the computer. It doesn't seem to work at all, in fact, it just messes things up, so leave things alone. If you want more bass or the bass sounds terrible or something, cornerload the subwoofer. You will notice a dramatic improvement in bass response. Things fill in much better, resulting in a much improved sound across the spectrum, even better when you're in the sweet spot of your room. Also, keep the satts facing you aimed at ear level if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back