Kurt Elling: Wow, i think i actually it now!
Mar 19, 2005 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Well, this has been a mighty surprise...the first time i listened to Kurt i thought he sounded like a banshee wailing around trying to find notes fit within the chord structure as well as attempting to flip flop his tongue around for that new hip way to scat.

Well, picked up one of his albums today, and i think i have a change of heart...i love the tonality of his voice, very warm, he's got great range with strength and presence all over, he can do some crazy things with his voice when it comes down to scatting, the notes he chooses are right on and unique while also remaining very melodic with great structure. And im starting to dig his syllables - it sounds like drunken pig-latin french, but for some reason it works for him, go figure
rs1smile.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 6
He kinda' reminds me of Frank Sanatra doing beat poetry on acid!

(edit: Not that that's a bad thing!
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 6
I've heard his live album (some club in chicago??), I dont remember the title of it...but it was absolutely GOLD! hmm...*brings up google* hm... "Live in Chicago" (At the Green Mill).
Check the CD out. worth your time!

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by romesaz
I've heard his live album (some club in chicago??), I dont remember the title of it...but it was absolutely GOLD! hmm...*brings up google* hm... "Live in Chicago" (At the Green Mill).
Check the CD out. worth your time!

Ach! He did a concert at a venue a couple of blocks away from my house in Skokie, i knew i should have taken the plunge and went, but my anti-kurt emotions were still strong at the time

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Guess you wont miss something like that a second time
biggrin.gif

Whatever, happens. At least he was around your area, we hardly get any "big names" in jazz coming over here. At least nothing on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back