Kuma Gilmore finally feels at home!
May 25, 2004 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kuma

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been a few months since I've received Kuma Gilmore ( essentially a stripped down version of Reference Gilmore ) from Justin.
It was a remarkable improvements in dynamics, resolution and more fluid, natural feel than the Gilmore V2.
In spite, tho, the system sounded still somewhat mechanical and unmistakably 'solid state' ( in a bad sense ) It was good. But it was not the type of system you want to keep listening to the music. It sounded still mechanical and something 'fake' about it in spite all the hi-fi pluses.

After bunch of source and preamp changes ( Kuma Gilmore is a straight power amp. no volume control ), I've recently put newly updated and upgraded Krell kps25s in the studio rig. ( now it uses Burr Brown 24/96 chipset instead of the original UltraAnalogue 20 bit DACs )

It made an amasing transformation either used as a stand-alone CD playback or using its digital input off my laptop.
eek.gif

The whole stage opens up and no more direct sound coming from RS1. Absolutely no dynamic compression even at silly level on all frequencies. The best of all, now the system has a nice balance between transient impact ( aka pace'n'bass ) and the flow of things which is so hard for any solid state systems to deliver.
This got to be one of the kick-ass performance coming out from the RS1 without a help from Jota. My respect to both RS1 and Kevin's wonderful design. ( y'all can hate RS1, but I'm just digging this!!! kps25s/Gilmore combo has the iron-fisted control over RS1 with none of the negatives normall associated with them.
icon10.gif
)

I always thought Gilmore amp is reminiscent of Krell's house sound. i.e. bold, dynamic, bigger than life etc..etc...
Indeed, this is an excellelnt synergy between 'em.
note: this is NOT for the timid.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

kps25s_gilmore1.jpg

May 25, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 28
Glad to see you back Kuma, I haven't seen any posts from you in a while. I'm glad to hear you have the Gilmore Kuma nicely settled in finally. The last time we chatted you were doing a lot of tweaking! Hmmm, maybe I have to try one of those Krells although I can twll you the Meridian 588 -> Gilmore Balanced -> Balanced PS-1 is one hell of a combination!
biggrin.gif
One question though, does it have truly balanced outs?

Even knowing that I am listening to the Gilmore Balanced there are times I would swear it's a very clean, detailed tube amp sort of along the lines of a HP-4. Next thing you need to try is going balanced with the RS-1s and the Gilmore Balanced, the stage opens up incredibly.

May 25, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Thats one expensive table you have there...

Kuma has NICE gear, I would love to have a mini-meet at her house, it's better stocked than most audio stores!
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
*cough*losethers1'sandgethp1's*cough*

*cough*youbelongatfatgothsanonymous*cough*

Kuma, I'm glad the gilmore worked out for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

May 26, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 28
*cough*don'tworryhe'sjustanasssometimesanddon'ttak ewhathesaysseriouslyrs-1ssoundawesomealthoughhp-1000sarealwaysanotherstepyoucantake*cough*
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 28
Congrats on the awesome tunes kuma. I guess it does make a difference to have those extra 4 bits sometimes. Either that or the UltraAnalog simply didn't mesh well with the Gimore. Either way, you're the winner in this case, and now enjoying your tunes once again. Congrats!

May 26, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
Kuma Gilmore... oops I thought you married Kevin Gilmore...
biggrin.gif
J/K.

Lol, ofcourse not, after getting this stuff she is destined to be mine
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Kuma, you have wonderful equipment that keeps getting better, just let me know when I can move in with you
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
One question though, does it have truly balanced outs?

Greg,

kps25s runs dual differential. Normally Krell gear sounds better out of balanced outs. But, I've opted for single-ended inputs on Gilmore since other virable balanced outs are taken up to drive a pair of speakers.

I would love to listen to the balanced version of Gilmore Reference to see. I can see the benefit for soundstage and better stereo separation. Are you going to mod your PS1 to have balanced ends as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back