Kudos to the designers at Toyota
Jan 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: Toyota and GM.

Toyota has had partnerships with GM, but they're not even close to the same company. Aside from a few shared models (Cavalier/Cavalier, Matrix/Vibe, Corolla/Prizm) and some technology exchange, there's little to no intermixing in the companies lines.

GM's cars were crap because, well, they were. Poor build quality and severe cost cutting measures plagued GM's designs. Toyota did not have the same problems.

As for Yamaha's work, in the not too distant past, Toyota really sucked at designing motors. They were far behind the performance curve, so they hired Yamaha to design their high performance motors for them.

There's a fine line though. The models you listed they did share ideas, they also exchanged quality control reports and budgeting after the fact. Even though GM fell on thier face and still do to this day on quality control, they share many things Toyota does today. I think where it lies is, they share the ideas and concepts on the design table, and on paper, but when it comes to actually producing/production models, each company puts thier own into it, whether it be cost cutting, or a remodel of a specific part that's where I think the two seperate at an alarming rate. on paper though, the two companies function pretty closely...

When my buddy was testing out the now Cobalt platformed Supercharger, there were various minglings with both design teams and "tricks of the trade" that were swapped and seen on later models. They may not be the same company, but they do communicate together. Very closely I may add. Toyota designers had a hand with the Ecotec IIRC...

I haven't been in the car ring for quite some time now, but I can't imagine much changing between the two companies...GM just really sucks at everything other than the Corvette. The failed miserably at the sport compact market and the F-Body was just neglected, and now defunct. Now they're gonna have to "creatively" figure a way to conjure up a way to reinvent a legend. It's like every other dept is lacking with maybe the exception of thier trucks.

Blah...I feel like that explanation was all over the place cause I'm on my way out to dinner....

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys in cool trucks are hot.
cool.gif

Correction Guys in Silver TT's are hot.

also added..

guys named BHD are super hott,and Guys named BHD812 are super uber Hawt!

but i am sure you already knew that..
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a truck thing... you wouldn't understand
cool.gif

It's actually a JEEP thing
wink.gif
...but I still don't think he would understand...Here's my 06, I'll never go back to a car...

p1010614my3.jpg

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 100
if you're not looking to tow a boat, just play around in the mud, transport stuff with the bed and go camping, just get a tacoma. I never understood the whole big f-250 craze. My 4runner is only a 3.0 V6 and I wish it was a I-4 the rate it burns gas. I can't imagine a v8 in a truck that weighs another thousand pounds more. Do you guys fill up twice a week or something? Besides, most 4wd trucks have a low gear thats low enough for you to play in the mud all you want. The only reason for a hemi 6.0L V8 kinda deal is to show off on the streets.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like cars... I feel small in them, I can't see, they are only good for paved road, worthless for camping, etc... very very limited in function compared to trucks which now days have all the comfort and features of a nice car but all the benefits of a truck. As far as size I am a very safe driver and will never chose to drive something just so people in smaller cars will feel safer.... gimme a break.

It's a truck thing... you wouldn't understand
cool.gif

I thought ppl who buy trucks are hardware installation guys to put their tools on. Now I seriously dont understand.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #21 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correction Guys in Silver TT's are hot.

also added..

guys named BHD are super hott,and Guys named BHD812 are super uber Hawt!

but i am sure you already knew that..
tongue.gif

^ ^ Too much panache for a truck.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought ppl who buy trucks are hardware installation guys to put their tools on. Now I seriously dont understand.

My husband likes trucks and he's not an "installation guy" at all.
He sold his to buy a Jetta (which we love) but lately he seems to be talking about trucks all the time.
rolleyes.gif
LOL
I'm guessing he'll be driving a new pimpish truck before the year is over.
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're not looking to tow a boat, just play around in the mud, transport stuff with the bed and go camping, just get a tacoma. I never understood the whole big f-250 craze. My 4runner is only a 3.0 V6 and I wish it was a I-4 the rate it burns gas. I can't imagine a v8 in a truck that weighs another thousand pounds more. Do you guys fill up twice a week or something? Besides, most 4wd trucks have a low gear thats low enough for you to play in the mud all you want. The only reason for a hemi 6.0L V8 kinda deal is to show off on the streets.

The new Chevy's get 20mpg. Thats more than my AWD V8 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 100
Trucks are a lot of fun IMHO.

When I was a quality engineer at NUMMI, one of my re-design projects was to improve headlamp durability on the Tacoma 4x4. I worked closely with the Japanese optical designers for both the Tacoma and 4-Runner, tweeking the designs to get it just right.

The cool part was the company lent me a $26000 TRD 4x4 to THRASH on for 3 weeks
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
... Pound the living snot outta the thing to try and get the headlamps to mis-align. It was a super-fun project.... Lets just say that I'm glad they gave me the TRD model, with the semi-locking rear diff. I needed it to get me out of a mud-bogg.

Good Luck Wake!! PM me if youre interested in any behind the scenes "dirt"... I have strong opinions about both Ford, Chevy and dodge, and really dont care to get into a heated debate here.

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 100
Big Toyota fan here. I purchased a new Celica in 1973, a Camry Wagon in 1993, and a Sienna minivan in 2003 which I'm still driving. Can't say enough good things about them. Their drive-trains are very durable, and you also don't get nearly the number of the silly little problems like loose trim, broken door locks, faulty switches, starter motors, rads, etc. that tend to be common in some cars ... things that require you to constantly be taking the vehicle in to be fixed. I've put over 100,000kms on my Sienna to date, and have had only two problems with it, both fixed early under warranty ... squeaky rear brakes ( they came up with an improved, beefier brake drum ) and rear heater/air cond. fan switch. Other than that, after 4 years, it starts every time and still runs and looks like new. Haven't even had to replace a single light bulb.

You pay more for this quality, but you get that back when it's time to sell.

I've always felt like a traitor when recommending "foreign" cars over North American, but these days with Toyota, Honda, etc., manufacturing and assembling many of their cars in North America, the definition of "foreign" is rather blurred.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never understood the appeal of a truck besides towing and hauling. they typically get bad gas mileage, handle like crud, and are a death machine to other smaller cars on the road. no offense, by why not spend your money on something that is actually fun to drive?

because they are bad ass

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trucks are a lot of fun IMHO.

When I was a quality engineer at NUMMI, one of my re-design projects was to improve headlamp durability on the Tacoma 4x4. I worked closely with the Japanese optical designers for both the Tacoma and 4-Runner, tweeking the designs to get it just right.

The cool part was the company lent me a $26000 TRD 4x4 to THRASH on for 3 weeks
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
... Pound the living snot outta the thing to try and get the headlamps to mis-align. It was a super-fun project.... Lets just say that I'm glad they gave me the TRD model, with the semi-locking rear diff. I needed it to get me out of a mud-bogg.

Good Luck Wake!! PM me if youre interested in any behind the scenes "dirt"... I have strong opinions about both Ford, Chevy and dodge, and really dont care to get into a heated debate here.

trucks are fun, but they aren't good for everybody, but they have come a long way from the 80s - the inefficient diesel trucks

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #30 of 100
see, I'm more partial to smaller cars that can off-road as well. Give me a subaru AWD and I'm a happy camper on and off the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back