KSC75 vs. w.ear
Aug 25, 2005 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
We just got those headphone thingies in our gym where you can listen to TV, so now I need a cheapie pair of headphones to work out with.
Seems like the Koss KSC is a very popular workout phone, but also found the sony w.ear for the same exact price.

Which one should I get? Any other reccomendations for cheap headphones that can trump these?

Help me spend my money
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 15
I think my mum's got the w.ear thingys, those are the ones with interchangeable blue/silver covers right? I should be able to nab them off her this weekend and do a quick A/B with the KSC-75s, but I suspect I know what the conclusion will be - nothing matches the Koss in their price range.

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 15
personally I own a pair of ksc-75 for gym/running, and they're great. Haven't heard the other cans, but you literally cannot go wrong with ksc-75s.

Aug 26, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
We just got those headphone thingies in our gym where you can listen to TV, so now I need a cheapie pair of headphones to work out with.
Seems like the Koss KSC is a very popular workout phone, but also found the sony w.ear for the same exact price.

Which one should I get? Any other reccomendations for cheap headphones that can trump these?

Help me spend my money
wink.gif

I don't know how any can will sound through one of the output jacks at your gym. My guess is probably bad, even if it was a Grado RS-1. The Koss KSC-75's are good purchases for anyone that listens to headphones. They're cheap, durable, sound good, and they're cheap.
wink.gif

But I use my Koss for throw around portable use, not workout phones. For this application I prefer earbuds like the Sennheiser MX400. They don't sound as good as the Koss, but who cares when you're working out. Plus the most important thing is earbuds do not make your ears sweat. Supra-aural phones begin to feel like earmuffs with all the heat when you workout. Canalphones create too much occlusion and microphonics when you are active.

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 15
I've had the w.ear's. They're useless in the gym -- if not due to their very poor fit and lack of any meaningful isolation, then it's due to their nasty, screechy, ear-bleeding tone that's easily distinguishable even in extremely noisy conditions.

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 15
The Koss's destroy the w.ear's hands down. They might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but the sound is lightyears beyond that of the Sony's.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R
The Koss's destroy the w.ear's hands down. They might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but the sound is lightyears beyond that of the Sony's.

You know what? I'm listening to the w.ear Q22s right now, and they're not all that bad. Pretty euphonic, though obviously not detailed up the wazoo or as good in general as the KSC-75s. But the question remains - why would you get the w.ears when you could get the Koss for the same price? I see no advantage to them, the Koss are as comfy when you bend the earclips and I wouldn't like to comment on the fashion style of either...

EDIT - having just taken the w.ears off after an extended (and not altogether horrible, but distinctly lacking) listening session, I've got a bit of pain from where the clips have pushed into the backs of my ears, that I definitely don't get from the KSC-75s. The w.ears aren't user-adjustable I don't think, either, you're stuck with the earclips how they are.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 15
I use those $10 sony earclip ones http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1204
THey work great. Sure the sound isn't knock your socks off good, but really if you're just using them for a sweaty workout, why spend alot of money. They sound decent enough, you're concentrating more on the workout than the details of the music anyways. So i'd say go cheap.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
The w.ear's actually block out a little sound for me whereas the KSC-75 does not.

True, there's a tiny bit more isolation with the w.ears, but when you have music pumping at a decent volume anyway I'd say the difference in passive isolation is drowned out (so to speak) by the active isolation offered by the sound.

I think all the OP really wants/needs is something that he can use that doesn't sound bad enough to be annoying, but why settle for something lesser when you can get something great for the same price?
blink.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
I think all the OP really wants/needs is something that he can use that doesn't sound bad enough to be annoying, but why settle for something lesser when you can get something great for the same price?
blink.gif

yap that was exactly my point - thanks for all the responses. The KSC75 it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back