KSC75 vs SLC4
Dec 21, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 17
I don't own either, but I'll just add that you are comparing an IEM which retails for several times greater than the KSC75 does. At street prices ($15 vs. $79), you are comparing a high value clip on to a heavily discounted, average level phone at $300 retail.

Up to you. You will find a sound improvement, but whether you think it is worth paying for the upgrade is up to you. You probably won't find the SCL4 discounted this much for a while after this deal ends, so if you want to hop on, do it now.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 17
I own both, and they both have excellent sound quality for the price(15 & 85 bucks.)

But the KSCs are very open and I find myself using the Shures w/ my portable setup.

The KSCs are more fun sounding, and more engaging... while the shures and more analytical and laid back.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 17
Owned both - really not sure if you can compare. The KSC75s are undoubtedly unparalleled for the money - but remember the SCL4s used to be ~$250 (in their time as E4s).

Certainly they are more analytical, but with much better defined bass, incomparable isolation, much sweeter mids, much, much better highs...

Background: Owned both of them for an extended period of time. The KSC75s were a novelty, didn't get much use...

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 17
I think it really depends on your music preference and application. I love my KSC75s to death because of the incredible value, and as younglee200 pointed out, they're way fun. However, the KSC75s are open and you can't really use them outside unless you want everyone around you hearing what you hear. If you have the extra cash lying around and a portable setup, I think it might be a good idea to pick up a pair so you won't kick yourself later. If you end up not liking them, you can sell them on the forsale forums assuming you've kept them in good condition :]

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 17
Not in every way hands down. The SCL4 used to be in the $150-200 league of IEMs, now it is so much cheaper so you could almost say it has an unfair advantage. Some people might like the ER 6i's highs or a Nuforce's lows (not in detail but in quantity) but overall I think most of head-fi would agree that for this price the SCL4's aren't very beatable.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in every way hands down. The SCL4 used to be in the $150-200 league of IEMs, now it is so much cheaper so you could almost say it has an unfair advantage. Some people might like the ER 6i's highs or a Nuforce's lows (not in detail but in quantity) but overall I think most of head-fi would agree that for this price the SCL4's aren't very beatable.

I concur. The SCL4s are really really good. I have the NE-7ms and find my self more drawn to the SCL4s. I just went back and forth. After the initial adjustment period where the Ne-7m sounds good it just starts to sound congested. I switch to the SCL4 and everything sound new and 3D.

The bass on the SCL4 is more accurate. You can feel it in your head but can't hear it because on a real loudspeaker you would feel it. If you can hear that kind of bass in your head it is bloated and boomy.

IEMs and headphones can't produce good deep bass like quality loud speakers. Because low frequency wave lengths are measured in feet and IEMs are centimeters from the ear. So what you get from most cheap "bass" phones is a hump in the 80Hz-160Hz spectrum to compensate for the lack of energy below 80Hz. This is a "bass fake" to make things sound like you are getting good bass which most consumer speakers do.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 17
They won't sound at first blush like all the consumer gear you are used to but over time you will come to appreciate the additional clarity. Also try every single tip that comes with them. I thought the black olive foams would work best for me given all the feedback but the grey flex tips work the best for me.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulSlayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a better IEM than the SCL4 with a budget of up to 100$ (the scl4 is 79)

Not sure if you can stretch your budget to about $125-$135, but the Phonak Audeo is getting great reviews for the price from here and elsewhere (mine should arrive tomorrow
biggrin.gif
). There is a coupon, SAVE10 to take 10% off, free shipping in the US. Sales tax in CA and IL only.

I do have the SCL4 on order, but they are no longer being offered at $79 on Guitar Center (or the other site they are on, slips my mind right now), if you haven't already ordered...

Oh, and I have the NE-7s and think they sound great, well worth $50!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back