KSC75 vs PX100 vs MDR-V6 vs ? (MDR-V6 alternative?)
Feb 12, 2007 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

huhwhat

Head-Fier
I was hoping to wait till tomorrow to post these questions, but I was tossing and turning in bed for over an hour... and I have a morning class... so I hope posting this will put my mind at rest. BTW, I've done a fair amount of search on the forums to cut down on the questions.

I'm looking a pair of 'phones that are comfortable to wear continuously for more than 6 hours and has sound quality comparable or better than KSC75. They will be mainly driven by hard disk based DAPs without an amp.

I listen to a variety of genres, e.g. classical, jazz, trance, rock, metal. If I have to choose, I prefer something that lets me hear the nuances of the instruments being played rather than the vocals, but not fatiguing if I go for a long session.

Right now, I'm considering these three, and I hope to have some gap in information filled up to ease my decision-making process.

KSC75
+ Loving the sound.
+ Comfortable and relatively easy to put on.
+ No issues with my hair.
+ Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.
- Becomes loose after a while and requires readjusting
- Don't want another pair of the same 'phones
- Don't want another case of badly-wired plug

PX100
+ Sound should be comparable to KSC75
+ Okay durability
+ Comfortable
+ No hair problems
- Pricey for KSC75 sound

MDR-V6
+ Coiled cable!
+ Aluminium encasing
+ My first full-sized
+/- Overall comfort?
+/- Improved SQ compared to Koss? Worth it?
- Uncertain earpad fit
- Pricey for a neophyte

*All the pluses and minuses are weighted differently, so it's not a case of pluses outnumbering the minuses.

**Suggestions for other headphones are welcome. Nothing above the price range of $60-ish. Please tell me what you think of your recommendation's clamping force (if it's the headband type), comfort, sound quality and durability.

I hope can I fall asleep now. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Thanks to the info, I can get a clearer picture of each pair of 'phones.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 44
I'd say go with the V6 since it's the best out of those 3 in SQ, but it might be too fatiguing for you. It has a very analytical sound.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping to wait till tomorrow to post these questions, but I was tossing and turning in bed for over an hour... and I have a morning class... so I hope posting this will put my mind at rest. BTW, I've done a fair amount of search on the forums to cut down on the questions.

I'm looking a pair of 'phones that are comfortable to wear continuously for more than 6 hours and has sound quality comparable or better than KSC75. They will be mainly driven by hard disk based DAPs without an amp.

I listen to a variety of genres, e.g. classical, jazz, trance, rock, metal. If I have to choose, I prefer something that lets me hear the nuances of the instruments being played rather than the vocals, but not fatiguing if I go for a long session.

Right now, I'm considering these three, and I hope to have some gap in information filled up to ease my decision-making process.

KSC75
+ Loving the sound.
+ Comfortable and relatively easy to put on.
+ No issues with my hair.
+ Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.
- Becomes loose after a while and requires readjusting
- Don't want another pair of the same 'phones
- Don't want another case of badly-wired plug

PX100
+ Sound should be comparable to KSC75
+/- Durability?
+/- Overall comfort?
+/- How powerful is its clamping force? Compared to Portapros?
+/- Does it eat hair for breakfast?
- Pricey for KSC75 sound

MDR-V6
+ Coiled cable!
+ Isolation!
+ Aluminium encasing
+ My first full-sized
+/- Overall comfort?
+/- Improved SQ compared to Koss? Worth it?
+/- How powerful is its clamping force? Compared to Portapros?
- Pricey for a neophyte

*All the pluses and minuses are weighted differently, so it's not a case of pluses outnumbering the minuses.

**Suggestions for other headphones are welcome. Nothing above the price range of $60-ish. Please tell me what you think of your recommendation's clamping force (if it's the headband type), comfort, sound quality and durability.

I hope can I fall asleep now. Thanks for reading.

havent heard the ksc-75 yet....but ksc-75 and px100 looks to have two seperate camps here...prefering one over the other

px100 is durable for sure....it has survived my treatment so far
icon10.gif

and is very comfortable...no clamping force....and doesnt eat ur hair

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say go with the V6 since it's the best out of those 3 in SQ, but it might be too fatiguing for you. It has a very analytical sound.

X2...

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no clamping force....and doesnt eat ur hair

Does the PX100 just hang on your head, or does it just apply minimal amount of force needed to keep it in place?

Also, anyone has any idea on the clamping force of the V6, and how strong it is compared to Portapros? And also, is the V6's better sound quality worth the price paid for someone who's moving up from KSC75?

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Does the PX100 just hang on your head, or does it have just apply minimal amount of force needed to keep it in place?

Also, anyone has any idea on the clamping force of the V6, and how strong it is compared to Portapros? And also, is the V6's better sound quality worth the price paid for someone who's moving up from KSC75?

V6 is circumaular headphone, so clamping forces cannot be compared. Should be very comfy, but you MIGHT face some sweatyness. It uses pleather pads, no?

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 44
Maza, I noticed that you have the PX100. What is your opinion on the PX100's clamping force?

How would I fare if I walk around on a summer day wearing a pair of V6s?

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 44
Clamping force is nonexistent in PX100. Might be loose if you have very short hair/have bald, and headband moves if you kneel forward, but it still stays where it should be. Comfort is top notch, and it doesnt "eat your hair" cuz the sliders are in the sides, not on top of the headband.

I presume V6 would get quite hot in summer...

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 44
huhwhat, I'd say that walking around with the V6's on a summer day is going to be really tough, especially with the stock pleather pads. You'll definitely get them quite sweaty. I cannot take wearing the V6's when the temperature is anything above say 72 degrees. I also cannot wear them for super long stretches without having to take them off to "ventilate" my ears.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 44
I'd go with the V6s, but order a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads to replace the stock pleather ones. I'd imagine they'd still get hot wearing them in the summer, but the sweatiness should be gone. Personally, I prefer to keep my V6s at home and wear my KSC75s on the go.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
huhwhat, I'd say that walking around with the V6's on a summer day is going to be really tough, especially with the stock pleather pads. You'll definitely get them quite sweaty. I cannot take wearing the V6's when the temperature is anything above say 72 degrees. I also cannot wear them for super long stretches without having to take them off to "ventilate" my ears.

Agreed....the stock Sony pleather pads suck in the heat. However, you can replace them with the Beyer DT250/80 pads. The pads are a velour like material and are super comfy...no more sweating! And the Beyer pads bring out more of the bass...what a deal!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: ^ beat me to it....

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 44
My main concern is the comfort, especially the clamping force, so I hope more people who own the PX100 and V6 can tell me how much pressure it puts on ears/ temples.

Right now, I'm wondering is I should splurge and get a KSC75 + V6, or stick with a PX100, or just get another KSC75...

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

My main concern is the comfort, especially the clamping force, so I hope more people who own the PX100 and V6 can tell me how much pressure it puts on ears/ temples.

Right now, I'm wondering is I should splurge and get a KSC75 + V6, or stick with a PX100, or just get another KSC75...

When headphones are concerned, you can worry about claming force with Supraural Closed headphones cuz their isolation depends on it. Circumaular closed ones dont need to clap so tightly and there is nothing that gets squeezed around your ears, so comfyness is way more tolerable. (yet perhaps more annoying on longer periods. Depends on headphone.)

PX100, being supraural open, really rests on your ears only. No deathgrip whatsoever. I find my KSC75 more uncomfortable than PX100.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 44
If there's anyway to demo the Sony MDR-V6, I'd say do that first before buying. The SQ is good, but it's a supra-aural headphone (not circumaural). Some people have issues wearing it for extended periods....depends on your ears as to whether you'll find it comfortable or not.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

KSC75 vs PX100 vs MDR-V6 vs ?

I'd throw the iGrado in that group as well.
I have owned all of them but the PX100 and right now the iGrado is my favorite. I didn't like the clips on the KSC's all that much and the V6's are too heavy to be a portable for at least myself.
The iGrado gets bashed on its looks but I have grown to love the look and will continue to wear them with pride besides they are much more portable than the SR125's I was using.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back