KSC75 vs IEMs
Apr 3, 2007 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
My er6i should be arriving any day now and i am wondering:
1. How will they compare, SQ wise, to my somewhat burnt-in ksc75s?
2. How much $$ does it take to buy an iem that sounds noticeably better than the koss?

Apr 3, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 27
The open design of the ksc75 will give them an airy sound, which I personally love. You'll get a more "in your head" feeling with the er6i, which is great in some situations. For sitting around and casual listening I would prefer my ksc75 rather than my UM1, although I love my UM1's sound.

I personally think you'll need to spend over 200 bucks to get a sound thats better than the koss. Just because of that airy sound. But thats just my preference.

Apr 3, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 27
I own both the KSC75's and er6i's. Recently received them both. I'd consider them my first "real" headphones - purchased them both after lurking around hear for a few days.

IMO, the KSC's are a lot more fun and enjoyable to listen to. The ety's are a more clinical sounding, and if they're your first IEM's will take some getting used to. The ety's have their place though - I use the excellent isolation to keep out the sound of all the mainframe fans in the computer room at work, and to keep out the lawn mower sound when doing yard work.

Apr 4, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think you'll need to spend over 200 bucks to get a sound thats better than the koss. Just because of that airy sound. But thats just my preference.

Do you mean $200 for an IEM that sounds better than the Koss. I hope the HD580s I have coming sound better
600smile.gif

I think it's hard to compare open headphones to IEMs. IEMs shut out the world and nothing sounds further away than your ear. That said, I don't think the KSC75 has a huge sound stage. Everything sounds fairly close to you when you listen to them.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 27
I have the Koss and the Shure E4c. In my opinion, the koss is so much better. But I hate IEMs anyway so I am not a good person to judge. However a good IEM is greatly needed when you need sound isolation which can be an oasis. In that regard, IEMs are great.

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean $200 for an IEM that sounds better than the Koss. I hope the HD580s I have coming sound better
600smile.gif

I think it's hard to compare open headphones to IEMs. IEMs shut out the world and nothing sounds further away than your ear. That said, I don't think the KSC75 has a huge sound stage. Everything sounds fairly close to you when you listen to them.

Oh I'm sure they will! I'm just saying, it's a completely different sound and listening experience than an IEM. I've listened to the high end E500's and they still had that "in your head" sound.. but what can I expect when they're literally in my head? I'm not complaining, I love that sound sometimes, especially when I'm laying in bed in pitch darkness listening to some classical or choral music, it's bliss!

I mean, although my UM1 has a decent soundstage, It's still all focused right in my head. Whereas my HD595 or my KSC75, I can hear things from outside the room sometimes! You can still get this effect with IEM's with a really good recording, of course, but it's still not the same.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, although my UM1 has a decent soundstage, It's still all focused right in my head. Whereas my HD595 or my KSC75, I can hear things from outside the room sometimes! You can still get this effect with IEM's with a really good recording, of course, but it's still not the same.

I haven't had that effect yet with my KSC75, but I've only had my current pair for a week. My last pair was used for working around the house and garden, not very conducive for listening for soundstage. I've had the PX100 for about a year, and quite a few times I've actually turned around to see where that sound was coming from before realizing it was the headphones.

Apr 4, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 27
I compared Senn PX100 to UE super.fi 5Pros and I liked the super.fi 5Pros more. They are more acurate and slightly more natural sounding than the Senns IMO. I would call it a close call though.

Apr 4, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared Senn PX100 to UE super.fi 5Pros and I liked the super.fi 5Pros more. They are more acurate and slightly more natural sounding than the Senns IMO. I would call it a close call though.

Just shows that comparing open cans to IEMs doesn't work. The Super.fi is over $100 more the the PX100. The Super.fi is supposed to be one of the best values in IEMs, where as the PX100 is a mid-fi open can. You'll always get more bang for your buck with headphones over IEMs, but for shutting out noise on planes and trains, nothing beats an IEM. I have a pair of HD280 Pros that isolate as well as my IEMs, but they're big, heavy, hot and awkward, and they don't sound as good as the IEMs.

Apr 4, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will agree that you'd need to spend a shedload of cash on an iem to best the 75. I prefer mine to the HD580/600, SR-125, MS-1, A-250 and my iems.

alright this is starting to scare me
rolleyes.gif
i was going to get some ms-1s after i get the ksc75s

Apr 4, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright this is starting to scare me
rolleyes.gif
i was going to get some ms-1s after i get the ksc75s

I think smeggy isn't in the majority in liking them over the higher end cans. I can't comment on any of the headphones he mentioned since I've never heard them, but I like the PX100 and HD485 slightly better than the KSC75. I'm waiting for the HD580 that I won on eBay and I hope they sound better too.

That said, it is hard to beat the bang for the buck of the KSC75. The PX100 and HD485 are over twice the price and only slightly better.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 27
It's not really a case of which is better, it's a case of what I prefer to listen to and I usually reach for the 75s. The higher end cans are probably better on a techincal level but I like the sound from the 75s more. Some people find a mini more fun to drive than a Maserati. I am in the minority but my reasons are pure.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 27
With open headphones, background noise effectively renders all that lovely sound quality useless.
So I guess it depends on where you're listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back