ksc75 vs e2c
Jun 6, 2005 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i have heard people rave about the KSC75s for ages now, but i'm wondering how they actually stand up to IEMs on the go. they are portables, after all. i would imagine that the KSC75s are drowned out and the details are lost in public places like the street or a subway due to their open, super leaky design. on the other hand, IEMs like the E2Cs could be dangerous because you might get hit by a bus or something. i dunno, what do you guys think? i'm really interested in the opinions of those who have both.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 15
Ever since I got my ksc75, I have not touched my e2c. It sounds much much better than the e2c. I don't think I'll be using my e2c much this summer. I'll start using them again when school starts in the Fall. But for when I don't need isolation, ksc75 >> e2c.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 15
i'm not actually asking how they sound in general, because its pretty much widely accepted that the KSC75s are great. just wondering if they work as well when its noisy.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i'm not actually asking how they sound in general, because its pretty much widely accepted that the KSC75s are great. just wondering if they work as well when its noisy.

I only have experience with the KSC35s, but I find them unusable in noisy streets. I thought my pair were broken before I realized there was just no isolation.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 15
Oh whoops. Maybe I should read what you said before running my mouth...er...my fingers..or whatever.
tongue.gif

In a loud loud environment, my ksc75's do get a little drowned out. My focus gets diverted to the sound of other conversations, etc. The e2c's isolate very well. I've never actually had a problem with traffic or anything, but I can see how one can get hit by a car who runs a red light or something. But, in that scenerio, I think you're almost just as likely to get hit when listening to the ksc75's as the e2c's.

So i guess, it's just up to how well you can tune out the outside noise when ur using your ksc75's.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
KSC75 sound better but are not IEMs. They really cant be compaired. They are 2 different types of headphones and arnt even in the same price range.

x2...

2 different designs for different situations.

Garrett

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 15
I have both and use the shures when I'm in public places studying or something. And use the ksc-75s whenever at home or at my friends' houses. The ksc-75s are great because you can hear people talk without taking them off or anything (if you don't listen to music that loud).

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 15
i already have a good set of open 'phones for home (the HD497s) and i'm looking for something portable i can use in public. i guess the KSC75s would be redundant then?

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i already have a good set of open 'phones for home (the HD497s) and i'm looking for something portable i can use in public. i guess the KSC75s would be redundant then?

I have HD497's as well as KSC35's and KSC75's. I'm not sure what kinds of music you listen to but IMO the KSC35/75 are a lot more fun to listen to than the 497's and, for me anyway, are a lot more comfortable. Add a 75 ohm adapter to the Koss' and IMO there's no comparison between them and the 497's.

eggosmile.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 15
I use my KSC-75's when I need to hear stuff outside of my music, usually when I'm walking around.. I use my IEM's when I'm communting mostly, or otherwise not wanting to here outside noises. For instance, while I'm studying. Also, I use my IEM's when I want to listen to music discreetly. KSC-75's are pretty noticable.
600smile.gif

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 15
i'm not exactly sure what your price range is, and the e2c's do isolate great in portable situations, but they sound absolutely horrible. It's like they were designed to have a total absence of treble frequencies. I could not believe that people actually recommended them to me, and i was extremely dissapointed. If your wallet will allow you, i encourage you to at least step up to the etymotic er6/6i (which can be found for $109 w/ free shipping from earphonesolutions.com, and as low as $75) or a higher end iem.

Jun 6, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 15
To each his own.

As mentioned many times before, E2's require a good source with EQ. With an EQ setting, I much prefer my E2's to my HD497, Porta Pro, PX-100, KSC35, MX500, which I no longer use. I love the music "in my head" with the E2's.

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 15
well yeah, with a good eq you can make nearly anything sound bearable.
im sure the ksc 35 or px100 would sound as good or better from a good source with an amp & eq.

for those who don't have these amentities, the e2's absolutely suck on the high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back