KSC75...testify!
Nov 12, 2006 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

konish

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I'll admit. I have picked these phones up and put them pack on the hanger about a dozen times. Finally, after reading how good they were I pulled the trigger today. OMG they sound AWESOME. I have a pair of Super Fi 5EBs and a pair AKG 81DJs and the KSC 75 sound as good as the AKG 81DJs and in some respects better than the 5EB's. I thought I was a Bass-Head, but I have to say I really like the sparkle of the highs from these phones. I pulled the foam inserts out of my AKG's and it helped the highs, but straight out of the blister pack, the KSC75s sound as good (maybe even slightly better) than the highs from the 81DJs.

I'm no audiophile, but these things are just plain FUN! I will say that I'm going to have to get used to the ear pieces, but after an hour of listening, they aren't as bad as I thought they would be as far as comfort is concerned. My only compaint? Not sure how they will fare with sunglasses on....

R/
Dustin

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by konish
Okay, I'll admit. I have picked these phones up and put them pack on the hanger about a dozen times. Finally, after reading how good they were I pulled the trigger today. OMG they sound AWESOME. I have a pair of Super Fi 5EBs and a pair AKG 81DJs and the KSC 75 sound as good as the AKG 81DJs and in some respects better than the 5EB's. I thought I was a Bass-Head, but I have to say I really like the sparkle of the highs from these phones. I pulled the foam inserts out of my AKG's and it helped the highs, but straight out of the blister pack, the KSC75s sound as good (maybe even slightly better) than the highs from the 81DJs.

I'm no audiophile, but these things are just plain FUN! I will say that I'm going to have to get used to the ear pieces, but after an hour of listening, they aren't as bad as I thought they would be as far as comfort is concerned. My only compaint? Not sure how they will fare with sunglasses on....

R/
Dustin

Welcome to the club
icon10.gif
They are without a doubt, one of the best bang for the buck deals out there. I find myself using them a lot more often than my A900LTD's; mostly because I'm afraid of mishandling the latter
tongue.gif

I wear glasses, and I don't think you should have too much of a problem with sunglasses. Just have to be careful with putting them on, if you try to jam them in along the same length as the edge of your glass stalk, the clip pops off, but it's easy enough to get it back on; just annoying. I guess also depends on thick the ends of the glass stalk is or whatever you call it
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 28
I'm not quite sure why the quality of these phones always needs to be qualified with words like "best bang for the buck" (which they are) but if other phones were priced accordingly, my k501s would cost $15 and HD600s would cost $20. I think KSC75s are excellent phones period and if there were only one phone in the entire universe I hope it would be these (and Stax for those who made it to Heaven and Grados for those who went in the opposite direction
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 28
The KSC75's could be known as head-fi killers, not really, but close. The headphone industry would be even richer if you couldn't get great sound for $15. I have read numerous posts for people saying they prefer their 75's to some very high-end cans. Rock on KOSS!

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 28
These Koss are in no doubt, some of the best headphones I have ever heard... that in cluding Beyer DT-880, AT-AD900, UM2, ... the list goes on. That is not to say that they sound as good, or even really that close, but... for the money, I think of them far above the 20$ I paid. My brain and its placebo take that 20$ and for the enjoyment I receive when listening to the +/- 150$-200$ category as they were certainly better than my AD700 for fun, more comfortable than just about any other phone and on some places, as much drool for the song as my Beyer DT-880. Cannot love them enough... nuff said.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 28
The 75s really are a surprizingly good set of cans! I can hang them with pride right next to my MS-1s!

....well....I could if the wife hadn't already claimed the MS-1s when I got my MS2i.
rolleyes.gif

But try as they might; the $99 MS-1s could not embarass the KSC75s! The MS-1s ARE a better set of phones in most respects, but every now and then while listening to a familiar CD while checkin' out my new 75s, darned if they wouldn't reproduce a particular sound even "better" than the MS-1s. Danged anoying when that happens!!
mad.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 28
I will testify to the KSC-75. Ever since I heard them at the Scotland meet, I have been a believer!

Hallelujah!

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 28
I'm having the opposite reaction. After months of listening to the likes of the DT880, K701, and AD2K, the other day I picked up my KSC75 again for a brief listening session. Couldn't stand the lack of detail and overall clarity - it was like, where did all the music go? And the bloated boomy bass was so disappointing.

For a $15 clip-on it's amazing, I'll give it that. But it doesn't hold a candle to what my ears are used to and need.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 28
Oh the denial and wanting to not feel like you wasted $500 when you could have had a similar sound and never needed an amp..... j/k
eggosmile.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I'm having the opposite reaction. After months of listening to the likes of the DT880, K701, and AD2K, the other day I picked up my KSC75 again for a brief listening session. Couldn't stand the lack of detail and overall clarity - it was like, where did all the music go? And the bloated boomy bass was so disappointing.

For a $15 clip-on it's amazing, I'll give it that. But it doesn't hold a candle to what my ears are used to and need.
tongue.gif

I've had that feeling too. The bass in particular is a lot of fun, but can get a little out of hand. I got the 35's I've been using recabled, which helps to correct for detail and bass issues perceptually if not structurally. I find that going from something really neutral (e.g. ety's) to the 35's is troubling, whereas going from something a little more colored and stylized yields a rather more comfortable transition.

Still, that's nit-picking at a price tag of $15-$30.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 28
The sound/price aren't the only thing going for them, the fact that they're comfortable clips is a big plus imo. No more messing with my hair, fairly easy to fit under beanies/caps, and doesn't take much space in my pocket or backpack. They also tend to "dissapear" after a couple minutes of wearing them. That's why i would never commit to full size phones even when i want isolation (i rather use iem instead).

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 28
The KSC-75s are awesome. The only problem I ever had with mine is that they had a tendency to bottom out whenever a really deep bass passage would hit them.

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr

tongue.gif

Yeah, couldn't agree more. I also find that the Koss is very material dependant, as in that some CDs would sound especially terrific with them while others come out sounding rather uninvolving. I use the HD650 as reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back