KSC75 recable, does it REALLY make a difference?
Apr 16, 2007 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to know, preferably from a long-standing unbiased, trusted member, and preferably from someone who does NOT make and sell custom cables. Will a KSC-75 recable benefit the sound in any way? I do not believe cables make any difference. However, I do know that a very high gauge wire can have a negative affect on the signal quality. The wire on the KSC75 stock is pretty thin, but I don't know if it's thin enough to affect the signal quality. Can somebody who has experimented with this please chime in?

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 18
I recabled my KSC75s with some good CAT6 cable (yes, network cable). From what I heard, it sounds a bit warmer than stock, more full. A bit more detail as well. I would say it is worth it to some extent but make sure your cable is thin/flexible enough for on the go use, or its kinda pointless (that is, unless you use it for home use, but you have RS2s). The CAT6 cable sounded great but unfortunately I killed the right driver (too much heat?) and the microphonics suck on it. I braided it so it makes a scratchy sound when the cable touches itself. The sound doesnt come from the drivers, but the vibrations in the cable itself. So my KSCs are pretty useless right now except for testing out DIY stuff because I honestly dont really care that much about 16 dollars. I already spent over 1000, whats 16?
I plan on getting another pair and getting some more practical cable and hopefully not killing them.
To answer your question with a short statement; yes it is worth it if you want to squeeze out the most out of your Koss'. Its not going to be night and day but the differences is pleasant.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 18
how do you like the RS2s btw?

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 18
recabling with canare star quad makes them more bass-heavy, and the highs smoother... a little less brittle sounding. Its not a night and day transformation, but a difference worth mentioning (that last 5-10%).

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recabling with canare star quad makes them more bass-heavy, and the highs smoother... a little less brittle sounding. Its not a night and day transformation, but a difference worth mentioning (that last 5-10%).

exactly my thoughts. Good to know im not completely crazy

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow you used normal Star-Quad!? IMO that stuff is pretty thick & heavy .. even mini Star-Quad. Are they still portable?

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow you used normal Star-Quad!? IMO that stuff is pretty thick & heavy .. even mini Star-Quad. Are they still portable?

Nope... not IMHO at least.

dscn64801gw.jpg

dscn64599nl.jpg

dscn66983am.jpg

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the resistors that people usually add inline make more of a difference than the change in actual wire on the ksc-75 IMHO.

x2... agree.

IMHO they smooth out the response. Less "peaky" in the upper mids and bass, result is better extension at the ends of the spectrum.

IMHO thats probably one of the easiest and most cost effective mods you can do to the KSC phones. Note, you'll need an amp to capitalize on the mod though. Unamped, it can be a detriment with most portable players... IMHO

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ultimate sound quality without the heft:
[size=xx-small](disregard the mp3 player, the photo was taken by the person who did the cable for me)[/size]
ksc35.png

who did the recabling and how much does it cost?

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 18
A resistor huh. I would use the ksc75 unamped from my sony d-ne330 pcdp. It has a 15mW headphone jack, how much impedance would be safe to have added and still have them being properly driven?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back