KSC75, PX100 or K26P/K27i ?
Dec 6, 2005 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Melik

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, i'd like to know the difference between the AKG K26 and the K27 (the K27 looks much better but i don't know the price).

Now My Second Question;

Wich of them to buy ?
biggrin.gif

i'm going to use them mostly on the schoolbus, public transportation, home, holiday etc...

btw. i don't have an amp and i don't really think of getting one...
so i'm going to use them unamped.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 21
Public transport usually means you need some isolation (unless you're already semi-deaf), which rules out open cans like PX100s or PortaPros. K26Ps are quite good then, probably the best isolating foldables. (The K27i hasn't been out long enough, it might be a K26P with a volume control and different design but possibly it also is better sounding.) Problem is, they're not *that* great sounding and comfy when pitted against open (home) cans. Provided you enjoy the AKGs, I would suggest to get a second pair for home use, possibly a Philips SHP805 (with some EQ, those absolutely rock for what they cost). BTW, mind entering you location (not US, I guess?)?

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 21
yes, actually you're right, but i need really good sound (as much as i can get for ~40$ because i'm just a student not an audiophile...
wink.gif
).

so, now - ATT the best cans for me are the 26P & Portapro's...

btw, i don't think that i'd buy 2 cans - one for home one for outside - because i have a small budget.
and i'm in Turkey, but i'll probably buy them from germany cuz i have sum friends there..

buying them from USA would be cool but i don't know how...

btw. how much are those cans in germany ?

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 21
In DE the portapro´s is approx 30-40 euro (I think).

I second the portapro´s, although I really like my ksc75

But try look at the sharp md33, they are in-ears though! Creative makes a cheaper copi of them ep-630 (same driver I think).

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 21
yes i know the ep-630 i was first going to buy them but then i became afraid because i never had any in-ear phones, and spending 30€ for nothing... hmm...

actually portapro + ep-630 would be cool but but that would make 70€ = 110 Turkish Liras...

btw. i found the ep-630 at billiger.de (price comparison site) for 30€.
and thank you all for you help
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 21
My K26P cost me 29€ from Alternate, plus shipping. It was kinda handy that they had the lowest price on these, since I needed new DVD-Rs anyway and the Plextors that I use (rebranded TY) aren't to be had everywhere.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melik
ok, i'll probably go for the KSC75 or the PX100 now...

But don't complain about having to crank up the volume in noisy buses and hearing problems following that. BTDT.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 21
hmm...
frown.gif

Are The K26P's closed or open ?
i Really Like the PX100's but the fact that they're open turns me off...

and i heard that the px200's SQ is not as good as px100's...

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

hmm...
frown.gif

Are The K26P's closed or open ?

They're closed. If you get a good seal they do a pretty decent job of isolating (not to IEM levels of course).

Ant

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 21
The K26P should be the least critical in terms of seal in this class, presumably because of the rather wide earpads. The PX200 has received too many comments re: difficulty to get a good seal (with these much thinner pads, it's probably more dependent on ear shape), besides the already not extremely strong bass is likely to be even less on a portable (too small coupling caps, the old story with space limitations and all) and the bass boost on the K26P is rather handy there. At home, a good software EQ will probably come in handy. Since the K26P freq response has been measured (linky linky), it shouldn't be too hard to get them to reasonably flat (the highs are rolled off stock). While we're at it, I haven't tried this yet...

EDIT: Here's a quick'n'dirty attempt at a Shibatch Super EQ setting (.eq file) for a more balanced sound at home (with non-negligible output impedance and DC coupled output; increase bass if needed); conversion to Foobar2000's .feq wouldn't be difficult.
Code:

Code:
[left]0 6 6 7 6 5 4 3 3 2 1 0 0 1 0 1 3 1 2 0 6 6 7 6 5 4 3 3 2 1 0 0 1 0 1 3 1 2[/left]

When doing this, I noticed how incredibly sensitive these are again. Even the most feeble 1.5 V powered flash player should drive K26Ps to higher levels than necessary.

Oh, and what I'd recommend here is: Buy K26P now (far better than stock buds already) and save up a bit for a Philips SHP805 in addition to that.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 21
ok, i don't like K26's design and colors really, but if the K27i has the same features and a reasonable price, i'll definately go for it !!

thank you all for your help, especially sgrossklass !
wink.gif

edit:

i don't know anything about EQ settings, etc...
i'm using Foobar2k on my PC with a 6 years old no-name soundcard (i bought it from mediamarkt, i'm sure u know it
wink.gif
)...

so, it's offtopic but - Could you recommend any good soundcard or anything for a reasonable price ?

+

Is the K26P's headband as bad as they say ?

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Is the K26P's headband as bad as they say ?

I found I got used to it pretty quickly. You just have to get in the habit of expanding it fully each time before you put it on.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back