ksc75 in v150 enclosure What?
Dec 28, 2008 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have recently purchased Koss Ksc75s and my friend is willing to give me his Sony MDR v150 since it is his backup, backup pair of headphones now. I've done a search on these forums to find out whether this is a good and viable option and it seems as though they work fine.

However, I keep hearing that the sound quality is compromised.
Is there anyone who can-- from 1st hand experience-- tell me how they affect the KSC75s? Can I attain the same sound quality or better?

Also, what needs to be done to the mod in order for success? *if there even is a way.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 13
i'm not quite sure what you're asking, so here goes nothing.
I've read somwhere that you cannot completely seperate the kcs75 driver from the housing so it would be fairly difficult to mount a partially disassembled ksc75 in the cups of the v150. I'm too lazy to search for that thread atm.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 13
the housing cup is part of the KSC75 driver.

You can install the whole thing into the Sony, but it might be overly bright. I have only tried it with a Sony CD180 housing and didn't like it. The 150 has a smaller cavity, so I would expect teh result to be similar.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 13
You must open the back of cup to make it sound right, and change the pads. I use $5 Radio Shaq pads with a quarter sized hole cut out of the middle. I opened the cups with a big coin heated on my stove and pushed through with a set of tongs.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 13
careful- the ksc drivers are fragile also- i know 1st hand in my own transplant efforts
frown.gif

the koss ur40 is a regular headphone that uses the same drivers. find one cheap and save some heartache

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Okay so I recently tried the mod.
Unfortunately there are a couple problems

1. The sound is a little bit LOWER in bass than I thought (ppl said it would actually increase in bass).
2. SQ seems compromised a little bit due to some of the closed space in the capsule (even though I opened up the back with a large hot coin as well.)
3. The KSC75 isn't extremely snug, it can shake around a tad bit in there.

I did however realize that this is 2x more comfortable and also more practical.

Does the Ratshack pads make a HUGE difference? I really hope so because I would like to keep everything like this.

Lastly, How in the WORLD do i reattach the headphones to the headband? Seriously I've cut and bruised my hands trying to get them back in there AGH!

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 13
did this a long time ago into a phillips.... click on the Franken PhilKoss in my siggy to view...

had to pad the interior of the can to give it more body. was supposed to do the blue tak mod. but i got lazy and the cans are still the same til now.

my guess would be, the cheapish plastic of the cup made it lose body and sounded very tin-ish.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay so I recently tried the mod.
Unfortunately there are a couple problems

1. The sound is a little bit LOWER in bass than I thought (ppl said it would actually increase in bass).
2. SQ seems compromised a little bit due to some of the closed space in the capsule (even though I opened up the back with a large hot coin as well.)
3. The KSC75 isn't extremely snug, it can shake around a tad bit in there.

Fix the driver in place with bluetak, or epoxy putty (which would be a better choice). Then pad the interior of the cups with a mix of felt (available at craft stores) and open foam. Experiment with the felt density and size. Wool cloth might work too instead of felt, if it offers some resistance to the air flow (experiment by blowing air through it with your mouth).

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Wow buddha, thank you very much.

The ratshack pads added make these things sound 10x better.

If you do this mod, make sure you replace the stock v150 pads with these pads, the difference is stunning.

The bass is much improved, the treble and mids are sacrificed minimally (though I can hear a tad difference) The form factor is 10x better, it's more comfortable, and I'd say its a good mod.

However it was a tough one seeing as it was my first DIY project for headphones.

If you take the stock ksc75 pads and cover the outside hole with them, they also look a lot better and I can't notice any difference in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back