KSC75 Headband Mod Version 2.0 -- DJ Style
Jun 22, 2007 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

qazwsx

500+ Head-Fier
Oh yeah, it's a new edition of my KSC75 headband mod! My old version used the headband in the Durabrand PR355 Radio. This headband modification is slightly similar to the one before it, though it is much more widely avaliable, and you get a less flimsy headband with the addition of DJ swivel cups. Though, like the Durabrand model, this is an open build (at least after slight modification), so you will notice little to no difference in the sound quality.

Required: Koss KSC35 (I've heard people getting the 35's to work) or KSC75; Coby CV110 or CV130; Duct tape; $6 (unless you have the Coby's).

I was looking through some old stuff and found a Coby CV130. Very interesting, since I had no idea I had these, and since they were fully put together, I was willing to do the mod to them. (Which is to remove the foam ring which make them sound good for $6) Unfortunately I couldn't get any sound from the right speaker, so.....

Modding time!

1. First, pick up either a Coby CV110 or 130. Either are commonly avaliable at Big Lots stores and the cheap-o electronics sections of clothing stores and discount shops for just a few bucks. According to compare123.com, the CV110 has an overall online price range of $5.99 - $6.99, and the CV130 $5.99 - $8.16.

barebuildjj2.jpg

2. Open up the headphones and completely remove the speakers and the foam ring. You are now left with a bare-build. Know this step may, sadly, sacrifice your Coby drivers.

removefoampn3.jpg

breathesh9.jpg

3. Remove the small pieces of foam covering the breathing holes on the build. If you don't this will result in a closed headphone and you will get the result of putting hands over your KSC75's. Weird midrange and veiled highs.

4. Remove the clips off your KSC75's. A slight tug will take them off.

WARNING: I forgot to mention in the Durabrand mod, but I very, very HIGHLY recommend saving the clips: they are required for the Koss warranty and are important if the headband were to break or you end up not liking this modification.

ducttapelw3.jpg

5. Get duct tape and roll up two, two to three inch pieces and place one on each side of the backings of your headphones. Make sure you do roll it up so it is sticky on both sides. Place it dead-center. (see picture) If you place the tape to low, you will cover the CV130's breathing holes, and you will get the result of a closed back headphone and your KSC75's will sound like garbage. If you place it too high you will cover the KSC75's holes, bad move for the mids and highs. You can also use super glue, but I only recommend this after you've done the mod and enjoy it. (duh)

insertnk4.jpg

6. Place the headphones inside the build. Make sure they are fully inside.

7. The headband will be very, very tight, but is very easily bendable. Stretch it out a bit to make it feel comfortable to you.

8. Enjoy your new headband modded KSC75!
lambda.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 17
Jun 22, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 17
Awesome. I saw this at Circuit City the other day, I can finally replace my poor excuse of a headband. Pics please, I'm dying here D:

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! http://www.google.com/products?q=Cob...oogle&ct=title

But will duct tape be strong enough to hold them together for a loong period? I don't want to super glue mine to make the build permanent.

http://www.beachaudio.com/images/products/cv110.jpg Seems like a better looking alterantive to the Durabrand one.

They're better looking until you take the backing off.
tongue.gif
Unfortunately any closed back will get you screech until you (if you can) alter it.

Duct tape holds them in pretty well. If I bang 'em against a wall they probably would fall off, but otherwise they've never fallen from the build at all.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome. I saw this at Circuit City the other day, I can finally replace my poor excuse of a headband. Pics please, I'm dying here D:

Circuit City is selling them for $15 though, kind of pricey for a Coby CV130.
blink.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 17
AHA you don't need to remove the backing. Coby (for some reason) covered the flipside of the breathing hole with a black tape of some sort you have to remove.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Bumping this so you'll have quicker acess to update it with PICS!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 17
worthlessma9.gif

Sorry had to do it
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the sound affected?

Nope, since the build (after adjustments) becomes open.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AHA you don't need to remove the backing. Coby (for some reason) covered the flipside of the breathing hole with a black tape of some sort you have to remove.

So once you remove the tape, how big is the holes? Also, what do you mean by taping the KSC75s onto the cups? Can you elaborate a little on it? Also, I have some extra adhesive putty around, can that be used instead? Don't have the Cobys on me, and yes, they are not worth $30...I listen to their other headphones...mega veil and bloated bass is what I heard. Thanks for the info in advance ^_^

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 17
Hey, apparently the CV130 (I think that's the one) is pretty awesome by itself if you remove the foam ring. You headfiers that have 'em should give that a shot, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back