Ksc35's sound is shot
Apr 10, 2002 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

melancholypunk

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, long time no see
smily_headphones1.gif
what's going on? Anyways here's my problem.

Lately with my Ksc35's I've been noticing that the bass from the left channel isn't a clear punch anymore, it's more of a fuzzy static (I don't know how else to explain it).

I don't know if I'm just noticing this for the first time or if it's always been like this, I'm testing with my ksc50's right now and the bass seems to be sharp.

Any idea what could have caused this? Maybe a driver piece is loose or something? Are there any mods I could do to fix this, open up the earpiece and work the magic that you guys always seem to do to your headphones.

Let me know, thanks.

Apr 11, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 7
My brother had an old pair of KSC-35s with the same problem with just fuzz instead of bass. It's a blown driver; these things can't handle loud bass, and if you bring them to the limit, it'll just blow. Well, he kept them in his dresser drawer for four years rather then sending them to get fixed. A couple months ago I sent them in to Koss and they sent me a brand new pair. Now I'm the one with the 35s. It's worth a try, and I'll bet they have plenty left.

Apr 18, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 7
one of the drivers on my 35 also blew. I was lookin around at their website and it seems like they might have decided not to discontinue the 35, but instead updated it. The website showed the phones that are gray and black, not all black, and the pouch is also different than mines. I'll probably send em back in a couple of weeks.

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 7
I had the same kind of trouble with Radio Shack’s headphones (KOSS-made). When I opened the phones I found a small piece of metal (it looked like steel wool) on the diaphragm attracted by the magnet. I used scotch tape to remove it. Another time there was metal powder on it. Both times one channel sounded smaller than the other but noisy and had almost no bass. Both times it was easy to fix.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 7
whenever my koss headphones get a bass rattle, I take the cover off, look at the driver, blow the hair out of the driver, put the cover back on, and listen again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back