KSC WHAT?
May 24, 2007 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

TurboRotaryFreak

Head-Fier
Got my TH today. Out of impatience, I drove over to Radioshack, after work, to buy some cables while I wait for my LOD and Mini to Mini cable.

While there, I saw some headphones. Big cans, small cans. And cans that were in the middle. Realising how happy I have been with my HD650 and my UM2s, I was just "window shopping". When the sales rep went to look for a mini to mini cable, my eyes roamed the store and then, all of a sudden, pulled the parking brakes when I saw not 1 or two, but a dozen and a half KSC75. Oh what the heck. It's just 25USD. Let me see what all the rave over at Head-Fi is all about. And I can always return 'em if they truly suck. Thats what I thought.

Got a 40pack of AAAs for my TH. Grabbed the cable and left. Yes, after I paid for em. Got home and started test driving my TH. Hooked up my HD650s to the TH and hooked up my Zen V:M. Very nice. Next, the UM2s. Wow they definitely sound WAAAAYYYYYY better now. Now for the $25 KSC75.

Are you kidding me? Is this for real? WHAT? HOW? WHY? WHO? They are unreal when it comes to SQ. Wait let me rephrase that. They are completely unreal in most, if not all, aspects.

I, myself, don't truly consider myself an experienced audiophile. I have untrained ears and have just started giving particular attention to how music is delievered and the special details and what not. I have just started to immerse myself into this new found high and, thus, may be mistaken about these delightful cups of joy.

Even when hooked up to my Zen, it still delivers quite well. It doesn't need the TH. But hook that up and, dare I say, these actually compete with my more expensive phones. Now I don't have the purest setup to compare these to my HD650, and obviously the 650 has way more bottom end and higher tops. The UM2s have a bettter bottom end as well. But for 25 friggin bucks? What justifies this?

I am actually contemplating sending back my UM2s, which I have come to love. I love how they shut off the world outside and how they have got to be the most comfortable speakers in the world. How there is no cord noise when I do what I do. BUT I would actually be able to buy a pretty robust DAC if I sent back my TH, Headroom Bithead(which I haaven't even opened), Cardas cable(also haven't been opened bacause I decided to return them while they were en route), and my UM2s.

Using the KSC would mean that I don't need the TH and would then translate into buying a DAC to improve the sound from my PC to my 650s. But that's for another thread and I just wanted to type up a little undetailed review of these awesome, underpriced set of ear pleasers. If you dont own a set, Amazon has 'em for sale at $10 or something. Or you could just pay your local electronics store a visit and buy a couple.

For those of you on a tight budget, get these. They won't disappoint.

Peace
-AA

May 24, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 67
I recommended these to my sister's boyfriend, who was looking for a pair of cheapo cans. Well, he got them today, and I took a quick listen. And I must say ... they really sound very very good. I think my PX100 sounds better, but not that much better. Very comfortable as well, once you get them on your ears (which can be a bit of a challenge). Quite unbeatable for the price, and a great introduction into the world of good sound. Lol, too bad for my sis's BF, he'll never be able listen to crappy headphones again!

May 24, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 67
If you don't like the KSC75, you weren't made for this kind of hobby.
tongue.gif

May 24, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 67
I have some ordered and they will be sent to Alex at apuresound to be recabled and have a 75 ohm resistor installed. I thought it would go very nice with the red tomahawk I will get tomorrow overnighted.

May 24, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, despite all the hate, they really are the best phones ever.

confused.gif

I'm not sure I've ever seen any hate for these. Some people might think they're not worth all the hype (you know, the endless modding, instant recommend even if someone wants a closed phone or IEM, "best phones ever" kind of hype), but I've yet to hear anyone say there's a better all-around headphone for the price.

May 24, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 67
nice..ill get another pair of stock ksc75 just to compare to my modded one...

May 24, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some ordered and they will be sent to Alex at apuresound to be recabled and have a 75 ohm resistor installed. I thought it would go very nice with the red tomahawk I will get tomorrow overnighted.

Well, you could have just bought the ER4P/S converter cable.

May 24, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take the Grado SR-60 over the KSC75 every single time, no matter what genre.

x2 (with bowls)... IMHO the added refinement is worth the extra expense.

May 24, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you could have just bought the ER4P/S converter cable.

Yeah I could have done that BUT, have you seen the recabled mods??? Beautiful!! I'm not modding with a budget. I'm having a tomahawk overnighted. Sometimes you just have to have it!

May 24, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take the Grado SR-60 over the KSC75 every single time, no matter what genre.

I tend to agree, but I'd be worrying about mashing my Grados during transport!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back