KSC-75's and iPod - guilty pleasure and cheap
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I got my 5.5G 30GB iPod a couple weeks ago and have been trying, in vain, to find one set of headphones that will work for everything to form a portable "iPod kit" to take with me in a small Domke camera bag. It just seems almost sinful that a sub-$20 clip-on appears to work the best, so far. I wish there was a bit more isolation and less leakage offered with the package, though. But, for all types of genres, these pedestrian clip-ons offer a well-balanced presentation.

The CX300's are good, too, but I find they tend to have a grainy reproduction with classical and acoustic music that annoys me. What about the Sony MDR-EX90's? I had a set of the SL-version for MiniDisc use, didn't seem to work out, so I sold them. I am thinking the LP-version might do better with the iPod, or I'll just keep using these cheap Koss clips.......

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Cheap guilty pleasure with the 5.5? Yup, the KSC75 or KSC35 would do great synergy if you like warmth and open for that price. Another pair to consider would be the PX100s. Looking at your sig, you wouldnt get any better than the koss unless you bump your budget a bit. The IM716 does have a wonderful synergy with an unamped iPod and can be had at around $63 new these days. You used to have a pair of Etys so you'll love this synergy.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, the 35's are another option - I had a couple sets of those but they either were given to family or met an untimely death. The only reason I have the 75's is that Koss sent a set of those back to me in exchange for a damaged set of 35's. Boo.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 8
i cant wait to upgrade from ibuds and own ksc75 again (i have allready owned 4 pairs! but given them to needy friends at the time when i had a better rig). once the fit is right, its all deminishing returns from here
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap guilty pleasure with the 5.5? Yup, the KSC75 or KSC35 would do great synergy if you like warmth and open for that price. Another pair to consider would be the PX100s. Looking at your sig, you wouldnt get any better than the koss unless you bump your budget a bit. The IM716 does have a wonderful synergy with an unamped iPod and can be had at around $63 new these days. You used to have a pair of Etys so you'll love this synergy.

where can i get the inmotions for that cheap?????..............i like the 616 cuz i dont like the white716

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my 5.5G 30GB iPod a couple weeks ago and have been trying, in vain, to find one set of headphones that will work for everything to form a portable "iPod kit" to take with me in a small Domke camera bag. It just seems almost sinful that a sub-$20 clip-on appears to work the best, so far. I wish there was a bit more isolation and less leakage offered with the package, though. But, for all types of genres, these pedestrian clip-ons offer a well-balanced presentation.

The CX300's are good, too, but I find they tend to have a grainy reproduction with classical and acoustic music that annoys me. What about the Sony MDR-EX90's? I had a set of the SL-version for MiniDisc use, didn't seem to work out, so I sold them. I am thinking the LP-version might do better with the iPod, or I'll just keep using these cheap Koss clips.......

They really are great cans, and amped or unamped, you'll have to spend alot more to get a significant sonic improvement. They are a terrific bang for the buck, and only one other set of cans that I own beat them on sound quality. For a while I thought that the Sportapros sounded better (read: warmer). After listening to the KSC75's for an hour, I put the Sportas back on, and they sounded quite muddy by comparison.

For $15-20, the KSC75's are a tremendous value. Hopefully Koss won't go the Yuin route and start charging $140 for them based on sound quality alone (because the Koss really do sound that good, and from what I hear, so do the Yuin's).

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 8
i use my ksc75's whenever i feel my akg k81dj's or jvc marshmallows are lacking in detail and highs... needless to say, i am always surprised at how good they sound!

and yes, my only gripes about it are the super openness (its like you have nothing blocking your ears!)

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i get the inmotions for that cheap?????..............i like the 616 cuz i dont like the white716

Ouch my bad. I based this on this http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=altec+lansing old thread and that's even months ago. Following the amazon link, it's back up again to around a hundred bucks. Perhaps for-sale forum or ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back