KSC-75 With Mogami Mini Starquad Recable
Jun 15, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

trevor1189

100+ Head-Fier
I saw these on ebay and might consider buying them. For all of you out there with recabled koss clip-on's, do they fall off of your head? These don't look like they would stay on very good because of the thickness of the cable.
EDIT: Does anyone have a picture of themselves wearing the ksc-75's. I am interested to see how they fit.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 43
I used 24 AWG canare and its un-useable as a clip on. unless the weight of the Mogami is significantly less than that of canare.

I kind of regret doing that mod.

I was however able to snap the KSC75 into my sportapro headband, so it was not a complete loss. But even in the sporta headband, the cable is too stiff for my likes.

Garrett

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 43
I used regular Canare StarQuad, and while it's somewhat stiff, it's certainly usable as a clip-on. But if you're going to use them while running/jogging/other then I wouldn't bother.

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I used 24 AWG canare and its un-useable as a clip on. unless the weight of the Mogami is significantly less than that of canare.

I kind of regret doing that mod.

I was however able to snap the KSC75 into my sportapro headband, so it was not a complete loss. But even in the sporta headband, the cable is too stiff for my likes.

Garrett

Maybe this is why the seller is gettig rid of them. Thanks for the quick replys but I think I am going to pass on these.

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor1189
Maybe this is why the seller is gettig rid of them. Thanks for the quick replys but I think I am going to pass on these.

It IS a nice little mod though. Really improves sub bass extension. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a headbanded phone to snap them into.

IMHO the HD650 cable would be a better candidate for a koss recable.

Garrett

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 43
if you stripped off the thick heavy jacket on the cable, it would be much much lighter...
rolleyes.gif

something like this..
dsc016253iu.jpg

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
if you stripped off the thick heavy jacket on the cable, it would be much much lighter...
rolleyes.gif

something like this..
dsc016253iu.jpg

tried that too.... Still too stiff for my tastes...

dscn64801gw.jpg

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 43
I just picked up a pair of KSC 75s and Im looking to recable them. Does the HD 650 recable provide an improvement in SQ? Also, who is willing to recable mine
very_evil_smiley.gif
?

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by daashford0404
I just picked up a pair of KSC 75s and Im looking to recable them. Does the HD 650 recable provide an improvement in SQ? Also, who is willing to recable mine
very_evil_smiley.gif
?

Never tried.... you'll be the first
biggrin.gif

But physically the HD650 cord is a lot more flexible and light than even a stripped down Canare.

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
rolleyes.gif

something like this..
dsc016253iu.jpg

if i were to recable my ksc75 with Canare, i'd avoid the heat shrink. the canare starquad is already pretty stiff and the heat shrink makes it worse. the last time i recabled a pair of ksc35, i used techflex to cover the wires. it was still too stiff to be used portably and i only used it at my desk. if i ever recable my ksc75, i'd do what kramer did and avoid the heat shrink and techflex altogether. even then, i can still see it being too stiff to portable use.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 43
Anyone see this which he is also selling?

30_1.JPG

Appears to be a Optimus (Radioshack) rebranded Koss A130. Someone snag these! I would but I'm still breaking in my A250, and I don't want it getting jealous...

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 43
One thing with the stripped Canare though, is that it's super microphonic. :/

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Never tried.... you'll be the first
biggrin.gif

But physically the HD650 cord is a lot more flexible and light than even a stripped down Canare.

uh...if my recabled HD600 cable is any indication (you do realize you will end up with 1/4 plug with HD650 cable?) you will notice a much smoother highs and better evened out base..and deeper too.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
if i were to recable my ksc75 with Canare, i'd avoid the heat shrink. the canare starquad is already pretty stiff and the heat shrink makes it worse. the last time i recabled a pair of ksc35, i used techflex to cover the wires. it was still too stiff to be used portably and i only used it at my desk. if i ever recable my ksc75, i'd do what kramer did and avoid the heat shrink and techflex altogether. even then, i can still see it being too stiff to portable use.

a matter of fact, this Miniature Star-Quad doesnt seem that stiff, at least to me..
rolleyes.gif

i dont know, but to me, it was better to use the heatshrink instead of techfflex, to make it portable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back