KSC-75 vs. American Airlines $2 phones
May 2, 2006 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rocktboy

100+ Head-Fier
15min after reading this:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177325
I went and bought the famed ksc-75 for $9.99. I am listening to it as I type.
15min ago I was listening to the $2(actually free, you grab them from the rear seat pockets as you leave the plane
very_evil_smiley.gif
) headphone from American Airlines and here are my impressions between the two.

Both are connected to the onboard headphone out of a pc at work. KSC-75 has much more clearity in the treble and midrange, way better defined bass. The AA phones actually doesn't suck as much as you like to think. I think it's better than most low priced ear plugs I have heard. Definitely better than the one that came with Ipod. But the AA is no match for the KSC-75. I have to say the $10 KSC sounds pretty damn close to the $40 senn px100's.

I hereby declare KSC-75's the best sound for the money of all the headphones I have heard.
eggosmile.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
I'd rather stick burning white hot needles into my ears than listen to the headphones that you get on US Air flights.

they sound like crap when you are on the airplane because of the crappy headphone outs on your armrest and the ambient noise where you have to crank it so loud that you are listening to distortion most of the time.

try plugging airline phones into your home setup and they don't sound as bad as you think....plus they are free.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyotousa
i thought ipod phone is mx400 rebadge

I have a pair of MX400s and a an ipod. there is no similarity betweeen Ipod phones and the MX400 in appearance or sound.

Simon

May 2, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 19
The jetblue headset don't sound too shabby either, actually quite good considering it's free but they fit horribly on. I haven't done A/B compare but I am sure the Koss is better.

May 2, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 19
Last flight I was on had air tube headphones. No wires, etc. Just stick the tube in a hole that has some sound coming through it.

May 2, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekq
The jetblue headset don't sound too shabby either, actually quite good considering it's free but they fit horribly on.

Have you tried the '$1.00 Upgrade' phones they offer? I have been tempted to pick up a pair, but my UE-10's get jealous very easily...

May 2, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 19
In MRI research, we use the hollow tube to pipe in sound since regular wires would interfere with the MRI. Similar to what you are describing, what airline were you flying?

I never bothered to get the $1 headphone from JetBlue. Maybe someone should A/B compare them on the plane and come to a conclusion of whether the $1 is money well spent
tongue.gif

May 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekq
In MRI research, we use the hollow tube to pipe in sound since regular wires would interfere with the MRI.

I'm sure voice coil based dynamic phones are a terrible idea in the magnet room what with the permanent magnets inside them. I don't think they'll want to stay in the ears.

How about piezo-electrics though? I imagine they'd pick up some bad news from the RF coils, but the dude in the bore is hearing those coils buzz anyway, so the noise floor's already really high.

How badly do the wires really effect the field?

Someone needs to post a review of Avotec earphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
15min after reading this:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177325
I went and bought the famed ksc-75 for $9.99. I am listening to it as I type.
15min ago I was listening to the $2(actually free, you grab them from the rear seat pockets as you leave the plane
very_evil_smiley.gif
) headphone from American Airlines and here are my impressions between the two.

Both are connected to the onboard headphone out of a pc at work. KSC-75 has much more clearity in the treble and midrange, way better defined bass. The AA phones actually doesn't suck as much as you like to think. I think it's better than most low priced ear plugs I have heard. Definitely better than the one that came with Ipod. But the AA is no match for the KSC-75. I have to say the $10 KSC sounds pretty damn close to the $40 senn px100's.

I hereby declare KSC-75's the best sound for the money of all the headphones I have heard.
eggosmile.gif

That's funny because I came across my collection of pawned airline headphones on the weekend, and I plugged some Delta clip-ons, which have a regular minijack but came with a crappy airline adapter (score!
icon10.gif
), into an old sony 5 disk changer that I only seem to use for burning in headphones. With all the hype over the KSC75's sue to the radiochack sale, I was contemplating getting a pair and comparing the two.

May 3, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
That's funny because I came across my collection of pawned airline headphones on the weekend, and I plugged some Delta clip-ons, which have a regular minijack but came with a crappy airline adapter (score!
icon10.gif
), into an old sony 5 disk changer that I only seem to use for burning in headphones. With all the hype over the KSC75's sue to the radiochack sale, I was contemplating getting a pair and comparing the two.

Ahh..I too have the delta clip-on's. The best part of the delta clip-on's is the airline adaptor. You can toss the rest of the headphone to the trash because that's where they belong. My pair has a L/R channel imbalance of about ~6-8dBs. and their frequeny response seems to be in the neighborhood of 300-7khz, +-20db. Sensitivity is horrible too.

On a scale of sound quality of airline phones compared to KSC-75:

KSC-75 = 10
American Airlines = 3.5
Delta clip on = 1 (because of the freebie airline adaptor, otherwise 0)
United Airline = 2.5

eggosmile.gif

May 3, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManMower
I'm sure voice coil based dynamic phones are a terrible idea in the magnet room what with the permanent magnets inside them. I don't think they'll want to stay in the ears.

How about piezo-electrics though? I imagine they'd pick up some bad news from the RF coils, but the dude in the bore is hearing those coils buzz anyway, so the noise floor's already really high.

How badly do the wires really effect the field?

Someone needs to post a review of Avotec earphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just think thin hollow plastic tube. Patients would wear a ear muffler
580smile.gif
like that and the tube would go into the ear muffler and then onto and into the ear canal. Of course this is just a rough idea, I don't know all the details. I've heard that even body piercing like tattoos can cause interference so I guess a wire would be more so.

May 3, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
....plus they are free.
biggrin.gif

I'm confused .... Isn't the name of this thread "$2 Phones"?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back