KSC-75 Driver issue
Jun 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Persheis

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

The day before yesterday, I started noticing some cracks on my right KSC-75 driver, and it sounded like it was due to a loose cable. I thought it was time for their first recable! However, before I tried to recable them, I tested continuity bewteen leads and the plug and it was flawless... Nevertheless, I continued with the idea of recabling them.
I have some PortaPros (busted :frowning2:) in my possesion, and had to recable them a lot of times. With that experience, I started the project. When finished, tested conitnuity bewteen leads and the plug, and it was ok. However, when I put up some music to test them... the right driver was dead. There was no sound coming out of it.
I had some dejavu from the last time I tried to repair my portas (and busted them), and panicked a lil', but realized that, if I pressed hard the contacting parts where the slimmy substance containing the thin coil wire was, it would come back to life! Maybe it was a contact issue?

However, it only lasted for some minutes, since as of now, I'm not able to get any sound from it anymore. My question is:

Does anybody have any idea on how to open the KSC-75 driver to inspect the coil? For the first time, I think this might be related to an intern problem rather than an external source. I know it's very difficult to repair the coil wiring, but since it's actually dead, I might as well give it a chance before buying another pair.

A tutorial on how to open the drivers and what should I care about while doing this process is ideal for me right now. Does anybody happen to have that info?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 3
The KSC 75 driver is built in to the housing, so pulling out 'the driver' isn't really possible.
If you pull off the metal grille on the front you'll see that the diaphragm is glued straight onto the earphone "cup".
They might be interesting to disassemble, for science! - but i wouldn't rate your chances of being able to reassemble them.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 3
The KSC 75 driver is built in to the housing, so pulling out 'the driver' isn't really possible.
If you pull off the metal grille on the front you'll see that the diaphragm is glued straight onto the earphone "cup".
They might be interesting to disassemble, for science! - but i wouldn't rate your chances of being able to reassemble them.

Yup, tried that today and the diaphragm was there, glued. I might try to fix the contacts in the front, but I'm afraid I might end up breaking the voice coil wires (are they really that thin? :frowning2:)

Thanks for the help, tho. :)

If you have any experience fixing the voice coil leads in the front of the driver, it would be very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back