KSC-35s = good isolation? if not which...???
Nov 24, 2003 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy some KSC-35s but I need the surrounding area to not be able to hear my music preferably at all, or very little of it when I play music somewhat loudly. Do the KSC-35s do this?? I had a pair of EX71 sony (in-ear) and they were fairly uncomfortable after listing for more than around 30min, which is unacceptable. They also didnt sound THAT much better than my stock iPod's headphones...

if not- can you recommend a good PORTABLE pair of cans for my Zen Xtra for under ~$60 and somewhat comfortable i should checkout? I would also prefer something with nice Bass....

THANKS

Nov 24, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 19
The KSC-35s leak in and out sound. I think the PX-200s would be a suitable portable headphone. Never tried them though. Search for reviews and what others use for portable headphones.

Nov 24, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 19
I think that to get appreciable sealing, you'll have to put out about $70 for Senn HD 280, Sony V6, or the new AKGs. You can read a little about sealed cans and get recommendations at the Headroom site.

Nov 24, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 19
If you need isolation, either go with the PX200's or spring for some ety's! I finally heard them (the ety's) today and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Yup, the Etys are in a class of their own when it comes to isolation and detailed sound; you can spend a lot of money on a range of other cans and never be happy, or simply get a set of ER-4P's.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 19
actually, I have a pair of HD-280 pros for home use which I reallly like. I would be willing to shell outta extra for some Ety's if they really are THAT good. I know they have good isolation, but are they comfortable and have good bass too??

and which model would be the best bang for the buck??

thanks

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by mtbiac
actually, I have a pair of HD-280 pros for home use which I reallly like. I would be willing to shell outta extra for some Ety's if they really are THAT good. I know they have good isolation, but are they comfortable and have good bass too??

and which model would be the best bang for the buck??

thanks

Etys take some time to get used to. I had mine for over 6 months and finally got used to the rubber tips. I've been using the foamies until now but they wear out over time.

The ER-4P is the better buy because you can try it straight out of a portable and get good bass and when you're ready to buy a headphone amp, you can also buy a P to S adapter which gives you much more detail and seperation. You can also use this straight out of a portable but the bass will be a little week and the sound might be a little thin without an amp.

It took getting a PPA amp to get these to sound their fullest. They sound incredible from the start but now they sound amazing. They have such great detail that every little upgrade makes a significant sound improvement.

Nov 24, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 19
mtbiac,

Check out the Beyerdynamic dt250-80's. They are tight and IMO easy to drive.

I would suggest buying from Headroom @ 179.95 but if you absolutely must stay under 150 then do a search for a better price.

Marmul

Nov 24, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 19
after some research, i'm now deciding between the e2c, e1c, and ER-6. I get mixed reviews on all of these. Basically, I want something with nice bass and clear mids/highs. I'm by no means an audiophile but I like to listen to good music, and the better the quality, the better. I most likely wont even notice any subtle differences...but who knows.

thanks for your suggestions on the above 3 canal-earphones

Nov 24, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by mtbiac
after some research, i'm now deciding between the e2c, e1c, and ER-6. I get mixed reviews on all of these. Basically, I want something with nice bass and clear mids/highs. I'm by no means an audiophile but I like to listen to good music, and the better the quality, the better. I most likely wont even notice any subtle differences...but who knows.

thanks for your suggestions on the above 3 canal-earphones

I'd didn't like the ER-6. I thought it didn't have enough bass, the highs were harsh, and they were uncomfortable. They did have great detail though. I returned them and got the ER-4P and have been happy every since. Even though the price seemed high, it was the best money I ever spent.

I haven't heard the Shure line so I can't help there.

Nov 24, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 19
yeah, i'm thinking bout getting the ER-4P. I found them for around $210 new on eBay. Although its alotta $$, i havent heard of anyone who doesnt orgasm when they listen to them, heh.

Do the ER-4P have nice bass and clear everything else?? I'm assuming so...

I still want to get some feedback on the e2c and e1c because it would be great to save $100 if I can.

THANKS!

Nov 24, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 19
I for one didn't orgasm when I heard the ER-4P's... I think they have clearer highs and midrange. Still, I though the Shure E2 had slightly better bass response.

E2's bass response isn't as accurate, but they're more apparent and has more presence. ER-4's bass is more accurate, but they lack presence. Of course, now this is going to be followed up by plenty of people who'll say, "ER-4's bass is deep and tight, defined and controlled. I don't get what you mean by you don't think the bass has enough presence".

ER-4 still has the edge in high and mid-range clarity... but I've always found it less than stellar when it came down to bass. Of course, my reference of comparison is what people should expect from a "headphone". Put ER-4 next to Grados and Sennheiser (same price range), it'll definitely seem lacking in bass response. The E2 fairs a bit better, of course, it doesn't have the mid-range clarity and high-end resolution. However, it is also significantly cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back