Ksc-35
May 16, 2002 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gloom

100+ Head-Fier
There are a very few things everyone around here agrees on. One is the value of the Koss KSC-35. I didn't believe it, at first. Then some guy on Headwize was selling a bunch at $20 a pop, plus shipping. I jumped.

Well, it's been a week, so I think new toy fever has broken (it's never more than a couple of hours long with something this cheap, anyway.) The verdict? These things are pure fun.

So they're a little boomy, and there's little true extension. Highs aren't the cleanest, and the detail I was accustomed to is often obscured. These are not "audiophile" kit by any metric: price, construction, sound. Oh yes, I hate the ear clips, too, since they take longer to put on than a pair of conventional headphones.

And... I don't care about any of that. See, the KSC-35 is possessed of real magic, a sense of "rightness". They manage speed and verve with a smoothness my SR-80 would have envied. These headphones have some bravado, challenging my HD580, but their big sound has made up 80% of my listening since I got them. They sound big, daring, lively. They're the first "foot-tapper" 'phones I've ever owned. Did I say they sounded "big"? That's not a helpful word with an accepted meaning, like dark or bright or warm or even musical (the dreaded m-word.) But it's the best I can do. They sound "bigger" than they are. They aren't ashamed of their flaws, but present music with a direct, carefree liveliness I can't resist.

Interestingly, I think I can make out complicated relationships between melodies or basslines better than with any other 'phones I've heard (save the SR-325, maybe, but that never overcame the tin knife problem, despite its fancy footwork.) I was listening to Enya's "Storm over Africa" earlier, and had never before realized how the melody and counterpoints worked together. I'd heard everything, but it had never come together like this before. Same thing with Enigma's "Cross of Changes" album - I sat down to listen to "Return to Innocence", got 2 minutes into it, then started the cd from beginning and listened to the end. I played Paul Oakenfold's "Tranceport", and was enchanted: it hadn't sounded this good to me in a long, long time.

No matter what I turned to - Enigma, Pink Floyd, Enya, David Arkenstone, Gladiator Soundtrack, Ceredwen, Vivaldi, Hybrid, BT, Groove Armada, De La Soul, the KSC-35 grabbed my attention and didn't let go. I wonder if there's a headphone as versatile out there. A few months ago I'd have said the V6 was passable with anything, but now that thing is about as fun to listen to as a rotten log. It isolates, which is its only virtue (my computer is still a bit on the loud side.) The KSC-35 is a sapling resplendent in fresh spring green, while the V6 is a fallen tree half covered by snowdrifts. I no longer have a taste for sibilance, harshness, and slow-footed mud - I've heard the KSC-35's deft birdsong.

The HD580 is... well, it's a complicated 'phone, and I don't think I like its basic sonic signature enough to plumb its depths. I don't want to play the expensive-amp-trial game. I have heard speakers I liked a lot better. Now I've heard (close your ears against blasphemy, Sennheiser believers!) headphones I like better. Yes, yes, that sounds absurd. I can hear the cries of disbelief already:

"But you need a God-damned Melos or Headmaster or Max to really appreciate those beauties! Or at least MG Head! And then a $150 upgrade cable! Get a real source you wanker! Oh by the way, the RKV is the One True Amp!" (sorry, Kelly, heh, I couldn't resist.) I don't have the money for all that stuff (well, I did, until I went for a very substantial computer upgrade - priorities, you know.) Actually, I could still afford some good stuff. Maybe some day...

With the KSC-35, I've hit a point where I'm not willing to spend any more money on headphones - I just can't justify it to myself. I'm having too much fun listening to music again. I know it sounds crazy, and I'll probably be kicked out of the audiophile inner circle for my heresies. Maybe I'll be crawling back next week, like a heroin addict, desperate for another fix and a new toy.

I kind of doubt it, though - I've got my methadone!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had an epiphany: this hobby isn't about pursuing a rational perfection (unique to each individual's ears, of course.) That would be like falling in love because of a logical argument. Rationally I can accept the HD580 sounds better, even with my mediocre gear... but some part of me obviously disagrees, since the KSC-35 has found its way onto my head significantly more often, of late. Pursuit of sonic love is an attempt to satisfy that... subconscious? instinctual? part. No matter what your brain says, the headphone you reach for when you aren't thinking about it is the one you really love.

*whistles* I'm in lo-ove!

May 16, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 14
gloom, congrats on finding a headphone that "does it" for you!

I also love the KSC-35. Whatever their flaws, things just sound good on them. Musical, enjoyable, and fun! While I love my HD600/Max combo, it sure isn't portable... so if I was forced to live with only ONE headphone, the KSC-35 would be it. I don't think there's a better value in headphones.

May 16, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 14
He he,
I was just testing them little things against the sr80s I got from gloom.
Thanks for the nice cans gloom!
Those koss suckers rock though don't they. They kinda make want to go out and take a walk! Light, so they hardly seem like they're there. When I first got em, they made me think about getting some Portapros.
We should get like 10 guys together and do a group buy. Three pairs for like 24 bucks. I'd hate to break these and not have a replacement.
md

May 16, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 14
That's why I bought two.
wink.gif

The 35s have to be heard to believed. Yes, they are incredible. I LOVE them. But, unlike you, I keep coming back to the 580s. The 580s just seem more refined. Yeah, the ksc-35s are pure fun. And every time I wear them, I ask myself, how much have I spent on my home system? GAH.
very_evil_smiley.gif

When I get my mg head, I'll be able to do a better comparison.

May 16, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 14
gloom
HI:
I also use the koss 35s for my portable rig. I cut a quarter size hole in the pads and the 35s sound even better. The hole seems to open them up a lot more and tames the bass and lets the mids and highs out more. I really like the wide sound stage they offer being so seperated on each ear. Good luck with them and enjoy.

May 17, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 14
The KSC-35's are really nice for the price and size. They are very convenient. I use them with my portable MP3 Jukebox the Treo 10. Perfect match. The Treo is very small, and the 35's have no headband, so it's a pocket setup with 200 albums in it!
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 14
That was such an excellent review.

That even motivated me in getting one.

So where can i buy one? and whats that 3 for 24 deal?
I wanna join in if theres still room left.

those mx500.....i was deciding.

but i might as well spend the bucks on this true winner.

again, any post of where i can buy for cheapest price?

my ksc50, sometimes just dont sound loud enough and they LEAK some crazy sound when rock or beaty music are played.

May 17, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi gloom,

Congrats on your purchase! I hope you bought an extra pair for backup.

i dunno what it was but man I loved that review!

your writings echo my thoughts exactly. i just could't put them put them down into those words.

;P

May 17, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 14
I think a lot of the reason they sound bigger than they have any right to is that they're so light that you forget they're on after about 30 second. I had a similar experience of "whoa - I really get the whole concept of the sound now" when I got the 100 ohm fixup cable for my 4Ss. The whole picture just fits together like a puzzle now in a way that it didn't before. But that's another thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 14
I tried my new KSC-35's for the first time this morning when I went for a short run. Man! They are absolutely amazing! Hard to believe they can sound so good for $24. I did have a little bit of trouble getting them on my ears, but once I had them on they were so light I didn't even feel them. Best $$ I've spent so far on headphones.

Mar 29, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 14
just to ressurect an old thread.....the ksc-35's still rock....i love mine....these are some of the best headphones i've had....no they aren't HD600's and not ETY's but.....for the price and what they do they are the best....

ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back