KSC-35/SportaPro hybrid/mod
Dec 7, 2001 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I have several pairs of KSC-35. One is *really* old -- one of the cables is partly chewed through (thank you, cat), the earpads are splitting in half from overuse, etc., etc. Basically, I was ready to throw these things out.

I also have a pair of SportaPros. As anyone who has read my comments knows, I find the Sportas to be too tight for comfort, and, also because of the fit, too boomy in the bass. I was considering putting them up for sale.

But...

I was cleaning out some stuff today, and thought to myself "I wonder if the piece that holds the drivers is actually the same?" (the Portas, KSC-50, KTX-Pro, and KSC-55 have the same drivers, but different enclosures).

It turns out that even though they sound *SO* different, the SportaPros and KSC-35 use a very similar driver enclosures (the Sportas seem to be just a bit wider), and the *exact* same attachment (a ball/socket type clip -- see my thread with pictures of the KSC-35 and KSC-50).

So I took the earclips from my trashcan KSC-35 and the drivers from my SportaPros, and guess what -- they fit perfectly. And comparing the sound between these hybrids and another pair of stock KSC-35, the sound is virtually identical (which also goes to prove that the fit and backing enclosure of the SportaPros are what give them their "boomy" sound). As a bonus, my new hybrid KSC-35 also have an inline mute control -- which I like because it's nice to be able to mute the sound when someone is trying to talk to you.

The tragedy here is that over the years I've gone through several other pairs of KSC-35 (cats, accidents, etc.), and I ended up throwing them out. If I had only kept the earclips from them, I could have bought a few pairs of SportaPros on sale for $15 and created new pairs of hybrid KSC-35!

Another ramification of this is that if you can somehow order extra "clips" for the KSC-35 from Koss, it's a good way to get around the fact that the KSC-35 are discontinued. I'm going to email Koss about getting a box of these clips
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2001 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 5
MacDEF,
The real tragedy IMHO, is that you didn't take advantage of Koss's lifetime warranty (no questions asked, $5 to cover shipping)!! Its the best!
NEVER throw them out... just send them back with $5 and you'll have a new pair in ten days.

Dec 8, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I did some MAJOR surgery on my Sportas...

I took the drivers, filed them, and inserted them into my Sennheiser 490!

They are *almost* a perfect fit (I had to file a bit the 490s baffle).

I also cut a donut hole in the (incredibly thick) Sennheiser foam, closed the vent holes in the baffle, and covered everything with epoxy to minimize vibration.

I honestly think now those cans can compete with a Grado 60.

And they are *way* more comfy and stylish, to boot!

Dec 8, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
MacDEF,
The real tragedy IMHO, is that you didn't take advantage of Koss's lifetime warranty (no questions asked, $5 to cover shipping)!! Its the best!
NEVER throw them out... just send them back with $5 and you'll have a new pair in ten days.

Oh, I've used the warranty before on Koss phones
wink.gif
But these were self-inflicted damage, so I didn't feel right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back