KSC-35 Question
Oct 17, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 18
If you're not one of those people who blast their headphones to the kingdom come, you'll be OK. I'd reccommend something more closed, though, if you're going to be taking a train...

Budget?
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 18
Some Senn PX200s might be better for train usage both for you and those around you. Personally I would think the KSC-35s would leak enough sound to bother someone next to me, and they would let enough sound in to bother myself.

Oct 17, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 18
in my empty room, i can hear them at the lowest volume level from 5 feet away...but in any public place there is no way it would disturb others... i wouldnt use it in a library, ofcourse, but it wouldnt be a disturbance anywhere else... especially in a train

Oct 18, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 18
I don't know. I can see myself sitting on the train next to another commuter who is no more than 1-2 feet away from me. I still think that sitting in that close proximity to others on a train will cause them to hear your music. If it is loud enough that they will not hear your music above the ambient noise, then you will hear that same ambient noise. I have nothing against the KSC-35. Personally I think they are the best workout phones available. I am just not so sure that they would be best for this situation. However, they aren't all that expensive, so if you would want to actually try them out, there isn't much to lose.

Oct 18, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 18
I agree with Hiker, I got a buddy of mine the KSC-55's for his B-Day and I got a chance to listen to them. They're nice but on a train they'd let in way to much ambient noise so you'd end up cranking up the volume to compensate, this would annoy others next to you and could potentially deafen you.

Oct 18, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 18
I see many ppl with KSC-35 type phones on the train around here. It's almost a split between buds and the 35 type, but that's off the top of my head. Good points about volume level and hearing loss to think about.

Oct 18, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
I see many ppl with KSC-35 type phones on the train around here. It's almost a split between buds and the 35 type, but that's off the top of my head. Good points about volume level and hearing loss to think about.

if they're all black their sonys (forgot the model) if they're all aluminium, they're B&O A8's, anyone else know of any "hybrid" clip earbuds?

Oct 18, 2003 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 18
My wife is very sensitive about leakage and she doesn´t complain when I use the KSC35 late at night in the same room. Not the same about Senn HD495. That's enough proof for me...

Oct 18, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bjjp2
How bad is the leakage? Can I wear these on the train without bothering the person next to me?

These phones were not conceived for isolating, so the leakage is important.

Yes, you would bother the people who sit newt to you and,, what's more important, you will be tempted to increase the volume to cover the train's noise... not good for your ears.

Get some Shure E2 instead.

Oct 18, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 18
Bjjp2, did you have any other headphones in mind? If not I would recommend you go for some closed cans for the train. Both you and those that sit next to you will be much happier. The only closed cans I have are the Etymotics ER-4P and AKG 271S both of which are considerbly more expensive than the KSC-35 so I can't really recommend anything in that price range. I personally think the Etys would be great for the train if you can afford them. If not try the Shures that greenhorn mentioned. Or perhaps the Senn PX200.

Oct 18, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 18
I've never tried the KSC-35 on the train. It's just too noisy. I guess it depends on how crowded and noisy the train is, too. I had someone sitting next to me tell me to turn down my music when I was wearing Eggos. If course this was a crowded train and our bodies were literally touching. And no, I didn't have it up too loud. I've never gotten a complaint using PX200s.

Oct 18, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 18
There are noisy trains and then there are the not so noisy ones. Wouldn't leakage be a non-issue on trains then? I can see a library study session as one where you would not want leakage. KSC-35s are fine on trains.

Oct 18, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 18
Depends if the noise comes from the train or the passengers.
tongue.gif

Seriously, if the train is crowded leakage is going to be a problem. People sitting next to you are not going to want to hear your music. They probably will with the KSC-35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back