KSC 35/50 vs. the giants
Oct 9, 2002 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I have heard the KSC-35s (and sometimes the KSC-50s) referred to as "giant killers," in the sense of a cheap phone that can hold its own in a more expensive crowd. So I was wondering which giants, specifically, you would say these phones kill? Which ones do they wound? Which ones do they make sweat a little? And which ones end up grinding the KSC's bones to make their bread?
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not sure if they can kill any of the standard head-fi giants but it is presumed by me that they smoke consumer crap. IMHO, they don't best even the SR60's so Grado itself is out. I have heard the HD600's and they don't touch them, the Ety's? Heh...don't make me laugh. I have heard some MDR600's which sounded crappy next to the 35's but that is just me.

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 5
I think that what they kill is the over-priced, underperforming stuff in their own range and significantly above. They also beat anything priced lower. I think the good stuff at higher prices beats the Koss's, as it should. For relative value, these phones are excellent, but on an absolute scale I don't think they threaten any of the top performers at higher prices.

Sometimes when a good performer comes along at a low price, I think people hype it a bit too much. Shortcomings are more forgiveable at a cheap price, but they are still there.

I got both the Koss KSC-50's and Senn 497's at good prices, $15 and $35, respectively. At these prices I think they're both great value, with the Senn's being a bit better value. Just IMO though.

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 5
HI: When I plug my portapros into my Max Out META42 they sound as good as my 580s not plug into my amp
PS
Dont mean to get off headphone topic but the portapros are the same drivers as the koss-35

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 5
I personally like the KSC-35 a *lot* better than the KSC-50.

While not "giant killers" in terms of being better than the great headphones out there, they are certainly one of the best buys in audio. $20-$30 for headphones that not only sound better than all the crud out there, but also scale incredibly well -- the KSC-35 sound better the better the source and amp (an attribute usually found only in much more expensive cans).

I personally like them better than the SR60. They each have their advantages in terms of sound, but the comfort of the KSC-35 put them ahead
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back