KRK RP5 Studio Monitor Setup
Jul 29, 2010 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ojyarumaru

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I recently bought KRK RP5's and am trying to hook it up to the PC. Instead of using the onboard sound, I was thinking of using the Go-Vibe Petite USB Headphone DAC that I already had. But would it be able to run the RP5's adequately? Also, what would be the best way to connect the RP5's to the DAC? The RP5's come with balanced TRS and unbalanced RCA input and heard that balanced was better? I would appreciate your input, thanks!

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Balanced would be best but your Petite will work fine too although Rokits deserve something better.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 19
Ok thanks, so TRS (balanced)->3.5mm? This is better than RCA->3.5mm, correct?

And about the Petite, yes, I know I should be amplifying them with something better, but I'm trying to do best with what I already have for now.

Thanks for your input!

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 19
On a related note to this, I recently purchased the KRK RP5's to replace my logitech z5500's... Now im sadly missing the warm bass the sub on the z5500's produced... Im trying to decide between:

1) Swapping the RP5's for the RP8's
2) Keeping the RP5's and going for the 10s sub instead
3) Swapping for the RP8's AND getting the sub... However, with the addition of the sub will I even notice the difference between the 5's and 8's??? 

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:

And about the Petite, yes, I know I should be amplifying them with something better, but I'm trying to do best with what I already have for now.

Thanks for your input!

It's not becasue that is balanced to unbalanced.  What would be better is a balanced DAC then TRS->XLR or XLR->XLR.
Go for RCA->3.5mm if your source is not balanced.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 19
I figure the OP has already resolved his issue, as this thread is a few months old, but I do want to say to OP that the rp5s are Active monitors; That is to say they already each have their own amp built in and do not require an external amplifier. As far as the Go-Vibe (which is no longer in production) is concerned, I worry the single stereo headphone out will not suffice for the monitors as each requires its own dedicated L/R channel input.

To answer your question, I have the Rp8s and I really don't know what I would do with the 10s. These put out plenty of bass and sub bass for me (in my untreated room, up against a wall; which increases bass reflections) so my suggestion is to switch out to the rp8s and give them a trial and if you still are unsatisfied then you can invest in the 10s. I read that with the rp5s the 10s has a bad crossover frequency which may notch some of the upper bass, which shouldn't happen with the rp8.

Quote:
On a related note to this, I recently purchased the KRK RP5's to replace my logitech z5500's... Now im sadly missing the warm bass the sub on the z5500's produced... Im trying to decide between:

3) Swapping for the RP8's AND getting the sub... However, with the addition of the sub will I even notice the difference between the 5's and 8's??? 

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:

Thanks for your input!

Madmax is correct. Any cable that is balanced (TRS/XLR) on one end and unbalanced on the other end (RCA/TS/3.5mm) is unbalanced. The entire cable has to be balanced and you will need a balanced DAC/interface such as  the EMU 0404.

Quote:

#3 is not necessary. #1 or #2 is fine. I would personally go with #2.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 19
People say the Rp5 and Rp8 sound quite different and the rp5 are the best sounding of the rp's, apparently the mids on the rp6 and rp8 aren't as good as the rp5.
your best option if you have the space is to keep the rp5 and get the sub.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 19
Hey guys, been away from head-fi for a while. I'm using balanced->unbalanced right now so I'll opt for XLR->XLR. I ended up getting a focusrite saffire for a really good price on ebay and is supposed to be better than the emu 0404. Thanks for all of your help!

May 6, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 19
from what i've read about the KRKs the 5 or 6 works better than the 8 in terms of mids and highs. For monitors you generally are going for a clean accurate sound so 5 or 6 is generally recommended. The 8 may produce a good enough bass for most people, but using the krk k10s is better because all of the lows go to the sub and the two monitors are doing only mids and highs. Perfect harmony would go with the 6's and then go with the sub. 

I was thinking about going with forcusrite before, but head-fi has changed me. I'm now going for audiophile equipment over DJ equipment that i joined this forum for =/ guess only time will tell if that decision was worth it. I hope you're happy with the forcursrite, it's an amazing piece of equipment

May 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 19
oh i see, ill see about the rokit 6s and 10s more if theyll produce better bass and overall music enjoyment as the 8s. so confusing but then again i dun have enough money yet
well mostly im going for NFB12, maverick d1 or waiting for fiio e15 but ill see, wat ever is the best bang for the $$ cuz i just want to listen to good music and watch good movies, im not doing any monitoring and stuff.

May 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 19
I have the RP6G2, and i love them. For my DAC, i am using a Lexicon i-onix u22, and it works great. It gives me the TRS balanced out i need, and even provides a headphone amp with seperate control for volume.

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back