KRK Rokit 6's + Audio GD FUN verA (USB) + Windows 7...how shall I do this
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, finally have something to post after a period of audiophile hibernation. Been doing research on a good 2.1 setup for my room at college and the first shipment was a pair of KRK Rokit 6 active monitors:

On the 28th, as a birthday present to myself, used my summer work money to order an Audio-gd FUN version A (USB). After all the research I did, the FUN seemed like the best overall pick for my needs.

Right now I only have a Creative X-fi driving my computer audio setup, which then goes to that little CI VHP1 you see under my monitor, with the loop out feeding the KRKs. Not an optimal setup, but a huuuge (beyond words) upgrade from using my netbook as speakers haha. Now let it be known that the physical placement of the KRKs is anything but perfect right now. They are sitting straight on my desk, no angle, no dampening, too close together, surrounded by objects, you get the idea. I really dont have much room to work with though and I got to put up with my inner audiophile bickering at me. These speakers sound so good though that I'm still in a state of bliss that silences any room complaints I have.

So on to my real question. How am I going to set up Windows 7 for this new setup? I've spent many mental minutes contemplating if I should only use the FUN + KRKs for foobar, and leave the X-fi as the default audio device. But I had a revelation today as I was using ExtensionFM (awesome chrome plugin for managing music from blogs and soundcloud). I need these speakers to handle all audio. Are there any concerns I should have with this? Basically I was just trying to avoid and stupid windows noises coming through while playing music, or any unnecessary windows audio processing. But I guess I may just have to put up with my inner audiophile again...does anyone have any tips/understanding/ideas/suggestions?  

With time I will:
- make all my own audio cables (cheap guitar center cables now, parts for cables on way)
- upgrade power cables slowly (2 for KRKs then 1 for FUN)
- consider speaker repositioning to another wall and get some stands (looking for angeled foam until then)
- get a dedicated USB -> Digital converter (hiface maybe) and exchange the USB for the audio-gd BNC board (way down the road)
- buy the KRK K10s Sub (putt off for a while bc the bass from the monitors alone is working quite well in room)

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 18
Leave your X-Fi as default device and use uLilith or a player that is compatible with Reclocker.  Also mute windows sounds and disable all windows sound effects under Control Panel > Sound.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 18
you dont need a sub for that room IMO, if you did it would/should play a pretty minor role. I also second leaving the XFI for the default windows sounds, or heres a revelation; turn them off altogether

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 18

Qusp, I agree. Before I got them set up I thought I'd want the sub. Definitely going to save that money until my room requires it. Have you noticed any improvement with the HF level adjustment?

If I leave the x-fi as the default audio device, how would I get music going for my browser? I am all for having the setup dedicated to my music player, but I am considering making the FUN my default that way if I am using Pandora, YouTube, Soundcloud, whatever, I'll have sound (granted all windows sounds are turned off). I was briefly looking online for a program in windows 7 that could assign audio devices based on the application (if the application did not natively provide the option), but couldn't find a solution. 

If I leave the x-fi as the default audio device, how would I get music going for my browser? I am all for having the setup dedicated to my music player, but I am considering making the FUN my default that way if I am using Pandora, YouTube, Soundcloud, whatever, I'll have sound (granted all windows sounds are turned off). I was briefly looking online for a program in windows 7 that could assign audio devices based on the application (if the application did not natively provide the option), but couldn't find a solution. Qusp, I agree. Before I got them set up I thought I'd want the sub. Definitely going to save that money until my room requires it. Have you noticed any improvement with the HF level adjustment?

If I leave the x-fi as the default audio device, how would I get music going for my browser? I am all for having the setup dedicated to my music player, but I am considering making the FUN my default that way if I am using Pandora, YouTube, Soundcloud, whatever, I'll have sound (granted all windows sounds are turned off). I was briefly looking online for a program in windows 7 that could assign audio devices based on the application (if the application did not natively provide the option), but couldn't find a solution. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks ccccc

Small update, went to guitar center to pick up some MOPADs. 

I cant really determine if the isolation alone benefited the sound. However, having them angeled towards ear level really makes a difference and if there are any other less noticeable improvements beyond my hearing, I'm all for believing they're there haha. Good product though, I was anticipating some buyer remorse ($40 for foam pesters the my normal diy mentality) but I am quite happy. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 18
Nice.  Good job!

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Lol I use wooden stools and have two big books underneath one of them so it is at the same height as the other speaker. Your ear canal should be level between the tweeter and the woofer for optimal sound, fwir. Also, fwir, you need to form an (i assume) equilateral triangle with the speakers. So if they are 1M apart, you should be 1M in front of them and perfectly in the middle of the Left and Right speaker. Nice setup nonetheless, I have the same Stacker 830 as you. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Those KRKs aren't so directional.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for the comments guys (stang, great taste in cases haha).

I think I have determined my solution to the problem. I was in a software thinking mode, when a simple piece of hardware could do the trick. I am now in the hunt for a good quality (transparent) rca input switcher. 3 inputs, 1 output would be my minimum requirement. I would set my X-fi as the default sound card in windows, with only the FUN as the audio device for my music player of choice. Then the Line out from the FUN would be Input #1 to switcher (music library), the Line out from my X-fi would be Input #2 (all other sound needs), and I would connect a 1/8th to rca on Input #3 (so I have an easy way to hook up somebodies phone or ipod if they want to give speakers a little music love/show me music). Then of course the output to my KRK monitors:

Any thoughts/concerns/recommendations? I would also like to keep the price as low as possible. I saw MapleTree has a switcher, could not figure out price though. DIY is also welcome, but I am not too experienced working with circuit boards and EE in general, always in for a challenge though. 

Might be considered over the top, but
A.) this is head-fi
B.) I have been trying to figure out how to get an easy extra hook up to my speakers for an 1/8th connection 
C.) The X-fi vs FUN default audio device shenanigans seem to be solved
D.) I like versatility
E.) All the above seem to be satisfied if I find a good unit

EDIT: also found the Goldpoint switcher which looks superb...too much money though

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 18
Buy a pair of RCA-to-RCA splitters and a 2x-male-rca-to-1/8"-female-jack.

The RCA splitters go into the KRKs, the y cable I mentioned into the line-in on the FUN.  Into the KRKs you will have the preamp-out from the FUN and line-out from the X-fi simultaneously connected, just use only one at a time.  Then toggle the Super mode switch on the FUN and preamp out switch and you can use whatever is in the line-in of the FUN with the KRKs.  You then use the FUN as volume control for whatever is plugged in through line-in.

Just get the shortest adapters possible, much cheaper than an RCA switcher I'll bet.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Oh okay, that clears up some confusion I had about the FUN. I was always kind of confused on the functionality of the "line in" and "line out" buttons on the front and was gonna wait until I got it to mess around with (could have sworn I read something that the line in would only go to headphone out or something). Thats awesome news though, thanks max, I will go with the splitters for now. Just going to have to remember to mute the windows sound (x-fi) while FUN is in use. Anyone know a decent rca splitter?

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 18
Splitters are splitters.  The only "audiophile grade" splitters you can get are DIY ones, lol.  Or just grab some from Radioshack.  Stay away from Monster ones.

So with the FUN, as with my Compass, you toggle the Super mode switch to use the line-in and DAC output.  You toggle the preamp-out to use the, well, preamp out (HP out gets canceled) and if you have the Super mode switch toggled as well then you use the signal from the line-in instead of the FUN's DAC.  Gain switch still affects the preamp output as well as the HP output.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for the clarification. 

Ya I was thinking about just making my own splitters. General cabling question: should I worry about shielding a little bit more just because my computer is right there? I've used a basic weave with teflon coated spc for a small interconnect I did for my car, but am wondering if I should go with a slightly more protected type of cable. This assumption is not based off much knowledge, so anyone who knows more about interference please correct me if I'm misguided. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 18
As long as the adapters are very short, it shouldn't be a problem.
I prefer twisted pairs over weaving/braiding.  You see twisted pairing instead of braiding in pro cables, among others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back