KRK KNS-8400 vs Sennheiser HD800 & Beyerdynamic Tesla T1?
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Beretta

New Head-Fier

KRK KNS-8400 vs Sennheiser HD800 & Beyerdynamic Tesla T1

Can anyone please compare the KRK with the  Sennheiser HD800 & Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.
Thanks, any information on the pro's and cons will be helpful. My main objective is non colored, transparent and balanced dimensional "3d stage presence playing 24 Bit 192Khz files.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 24
The KRK's aren't really "meant" to be compared with the other two

both of which are open while the KRK's are closed;
both of which cost about 10X as much

(it's hard to tell if the question is serious)

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 24
I do agree the comparison may not be appropriate.  However all things can be compared with sometimes surprising results. Most expensive is not always best especially for specific functions.

An example would be like the comparison a 5D Mark II Canon camera (when it was first released) to the top of the line D1s Camera (at that time) that cost 3 times the price. The new 5D had advanced digital processing with a newer chip, so the image quality of the 5D far out performed the D1s (this statement was acknowledged at the time by Canon).  This being said I myself, like many others especially professionals shooting beauty /fashion preferred the 5D when color accuracy and image quality was the most important issue.

So I guess a better specific question would be be:
 In a blind test using an Apogee Duet playing a studio master recording @ 24BIT/192Khz, or a quality 24BIT DVD from a Oppo BDP-105, what would be the result and what SUBSTANTIAL/ NON CONTESTED NOTICEABLE differences? --thanks!

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 24
The HD800 and T1 will have a bigger soundstage, better imaging(especially the HD800) and more detail. There isn't really any contest and the differences are stark. I don't know if the HD800 would play nice with the Duet though.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 24
Agree with zazex and Tangster.

Owned the KRK before, can't image it can compare in any meaningful way against HD 800 or T1.

If you are into KRK, the Soundmagic HP100 has a similar transparent sound and is everything better.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
The KRK's aren't really "meant" to be compared with the other two

both of which are open while the KRK's are closed;
both of which cost about 10X as much

...which means nothing.

I still have my 8400.....HD800 and T1 are long gone.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 24
Thanks for the helpful info, Can you please elaborate on:

"I don't know if the HD800 would play nice with the Duet though."

What setup do you recommend--> out from an AirBook using high quality 24 Bit FLAC files?

I am not partial to any specific brand or the KRK, however I do own a set of KRK VXT8 & Exposé, and have had very good results form them. Very impressive playing quality vinyl RIPs compared to my friends 20K setup, that in my opinion was not as nice or FAST & Clean" in transient response, It lacked the overall "WOW…"    A good test I did was with a Michael Jackson vinyl rip, very clear separation of the vocals and instruments, well balanced and voice coming from you dead center, almost like he was in the room. Same effect with many other well made recordings, this may be due to the close field, but what ever it is, it can almost give you a Binaural effect, something that my friends 20+k system simply does not do.

Any recommendations on a good set of headphones is welcome, BOTH in LOW COST CATEGORY, and the High Cost, because as you may see from My website, I spend a lot of time in places Like Cambodia & Thailand, and always hesitate to travel with expensive gear.  enzoberetta.com

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 24
Hmm well one is a budget orientated closed studio monitor and the other two are flagship audiophile type headphones costing 5-10x the price of the 8400. Not saying that price defines sound quality but it does when you are talking about £100 vs £1000 headphones.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

which means?

...you like them more
...you needed some cash
...you didn't need some cash, but felt like having some extra around
...something else

or

...nothing.

Or it did not occur to you that maybe cost has nothing to do with what one finds to be a pleasing sound quality/balance....

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Or it did not occur to you that maybe cost has nothing to do with what one finds to be a pleasing sound quality/balance....

Hmm well generally more expensive headphones have better quality sound.

I would agree with you on the balance / signature part though... For example a lot of people might prefer beats to HD800.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Hmm well generally more expensive headphones have better quality sound.

I would agree with you on the balance / signature part though... For example a lot of people might prefer beats to HD800.

Or the PSB M4U1 sounding much more natural, musical and evenly balanced than $1000+ cans I've owned.

Sometimes with $1000 headphones, you are paying $300 for $300 worth of sound, and $700 on brand name, hype, "soundstage" and fancy design.

But everyone would prefer a Lamborghini to a Hyundai, even if they were only using it to go to the grocery store or look at it parked in their driveway.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
I still have my 8400.....HD800 and T1 are long gone.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back