KRK KNS 8400 vs KRK KNS 6400
May 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

oggdude

Head-Fier
My interest in headphones started about a year ago while tracking drums using Sennheiser HD 205's and AKG K77's and thinking their must be something better than this for overall audio quality and isolation. Shortly after that thought i was fortunate enough to stumble upon a pair of KRK KNS 6400's which are a massive improvement over previously mentioned headphones and did the job, well so i thought.

I typically use a combination of Sennheiser HD 650's and AKG K702's for music listening and reference mixing. The KRK KNS 6400's are used mainly for tracking or live audio and i don't think their good for much else as the isolation is very good but the audio is just lacking bass and clarity. My other problem with them is a pretty bad pinch on the skull and i don't have that large a head.

About two months ago i managed to get hold of a reasonably priced pair of KRK KNS 8400's just to satisfy my curiosity if KRK's highest model headphone could compare to their speakers of which i mix on. I'll start by saying that the difference is almost night and day for me. They are comfortable being easily wearable for several hours, they have bass presence (not compared to the HD 650's), more clarity and fantastic isolation. Another thing gone is the very tinny, harsh and annoying higher frequency response which made my ears ache after only a short while with the 6400's. The separation of the instruments is also more refined with more overall detail (again not as much as either the K702's or the 6400's).

The KRK KNS 8400's give a great listening experience and are also great for tracking so i highly recommend them.

Apart from mid-end open back headphones i have yet to hear mid to hi-end closed back headphones so my opinion of the 8400's is only based on comparisons to budget studio headphones and cheap street headphones such as Wesc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back