KRK KNS 8400 - Brightness and distortion
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheCase

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just got the KRK KNS 8400 as recommended from here. Really really confrotable and sound good (can really hear them cymbal crashes)  but they are distorting when pushed to my loud volume that I like and they sound a bit bright but maybe they need burn in but should they be distorting ??

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 13
If what you're hearing is actually distortion, then you may need a more powerful amp. I have found that the KNK headphones are somewhat harder to drive than their specifications on paper would suggest.

Their sound signature is perhaps a little bit on the bright side, but pretty close to neutral.

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, but the KNK headphones where some of the few where I noticed a dramatic change. That change happened within the first 24-48 hours. Beyond that time, their sound won't change much if at all.

What are you plugging these into?

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Jul 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 13
I think lack of power is correct. Everything I have plugged them into sound really quite whereas my old headphones are really loud.

I though distortion was too much power thats why it distorts rather than a lack of power.

How will a DAC help. Is the Fiio E7 any good rather than an amp?

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 13
A DAC won't necessarily help your distortion problem. With only 50 pounds to spend, you should probably throw it all at an amp rather than a combo unit.nI'm not sure if the E7 would be enough of a improvement power-wise over the E5 anyhow.

Try going used. Check the for sale forums here, Ebay, or local resale shops. A headphone amp would be good, but you might instead look for a used pro audio interface or stereo receiver. It looks like there are some nice stereo receivers on Ebay UK in your price range, and they'll probably sound way better than any cheap new headphone amp. Grab a vintage Marantz or Pioneer, or something from a decent brand like Denon, Yamaha, Sansui, NAD, Rotel, etc.

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I think lack of power is correct. Everything I have plugged them into sound really quite whereas my old headphones are really loud.

I though distortion was too much power thats why it distorts rather than a lack of power.

How will a DAC help. Is the Fiio E7 any good rather than an amp?

Where frequency response and in what way do you notice the distortion?

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Where frequency response and in what way do you notice the distortion?

How exactly do you mean it's like crunching sound. The problem with the headphones is that I have mild hyperacusis which is sensitivity to sounds. I cannot take certain high sounds these headphones don't really seem that bright but the higher sounds are peircing my ears could this change during burn in or unlikely?

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 13
I have never had that problem with my KRK KNS 8400 at any volume regardless of amp or dac combinations. Even straight out of Macbook pro jack or Sansa Fuze, I can get really loud but it never distorts. Even my E10 works just fine. Don't go for E7, unless you really need the portability, instead go for the E10, totally works fine with my KNS 8400, D2000 and even my HE-500. Under $100, they are the one of the best if not the best. Also based on the specifications noted, I find the 8400s to actually need some power to get dynamic. An E10 will do a good job with that, and you will easily enough power to make it fully dynamic.

They definitely are bright, but very slightly. As for the distortion issues, at first when I put these headphone on, I did notice this weird hiss presence (not referring to the floor noise or impedance/sensitivity issues) but just a weird electric thing with the highs, like a buzz. After a week of 40 hours ish, this definitely got better with break in and this also has to do with me getting used to their presentation. Out of all my headphones, it took me the longest time to get used to the 8400. However, if you actually hear pops and cracks, then there might be an issue with the driver.

Also if you have other audio equipment, try listening to them and keep switching stuff here and there and then come back to 8400 and do this for many rotation. This definitely helped me like the sound of 8400 more and get used to those highs. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 13
IMHO, I recommend O2 anytime. They are really well received by the community and seriously good. Even 600 Ohms are driven easily by O2.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDS-Labs-Inc-Objective2-AC-Rechargeable-Battery-Desktop-Amplifier-w-Dual-Gain-/300746780067?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4605e7ada3

This should solve it. My 2 cents.

Cheerz !

The O2 is quite a bit above his 50 pound ideal though.  I'd recommend this one, it uses the same headphone amp section as the O2 anyway and is a true all-in-one unit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02-CS4398-LM4562-MINI-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-/180738679826

That DAC chip is used the in the Colorfly C4 etc.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Dec 10, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 13
sorry for reviving this old thread but, I have a pair of KNS 8400 and when I plugged them into my scarlett 2i2 interface the distortion issue TheCase mentioned in his first post was a problem straight away once I turned the volume knob for the headphones past half way, the bass completely went and started to crackle and break. The weird thing is that when I plug them straight into my headphone on my mac mini they can be pushed to the full volume which is much louder then I can get them through my interface without distortion. 

At first I thought that my interface had developed a fault in the headphone port, but after testing it with many other headphones that are a lot cheaper I decided the fault might actually be in the headphones. So I sent the headphones back and the retailer sent me a fresh new pair. To my surprise the same problem was present right from the start distortion hitting my ears and highs piercing into my skull. 

I decided I would do some research into burn in as I've never been a big believer and I've never done it to a pair of headphones well not intentionally anyway. So after a day of burn in the headphones can be pushed harder through my interface, and they sound much nicer not as piercing and a lot more pleasurable to listen to. I have also tested the headphones on my friends interface which was a scarlett 18i6 the distortion was present here as well however they did go a lot louder then when I first plugged them in prior to any burn in.

I will continue to burn them in for a couple days and update on here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back