KRK G3 Rokit 5 + HRT Music Streamer II...ear fatigue - what to do?
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bcane

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I just bought a set of new KRK G3 Rokit 5 and hooked it up to a HRT Music Streamer II.  While shopping for the monitors, I compared the KRKs to a pair of Audioengine A5 at the store and found that the KRK had more clarity so I went with the Rokits.  (note: the tests were done without going through a DAC, just a straight plugin to the iPod)

When I got home, I plugged the new set of Rokits into my HRT Music Streamer II and was really looking forward to my new setup.  Everything sounded amazing in the first 10 minutes but then I started getting ear fatigue.  I had the volume set to very low (like 5 in the Windows 7 sound settings) so it's not because of loudness.  I actually find that even at very low volume the Rokits sound very loud.  

I am using regular RCA and USB cables and notice that there is a a small noise (hiss or static sound?) when nothing the monitors are turned on but no music is playing.  

My room is in the basement, not enclosed, and I am sitting approximately 5 feet away from the Rokits.  I even tried turning the volume knob to -10db, the HF to -3db and LF to -3db on the back of the monitors but still experience the same ear fatigue.

Can anyone suggest a solution or maybe explain why this is happening?  Is it placement?  Cables?  It would really be a shame if I have to return these Rokits and go back to my Altec Lansing...that would make me cry...

Thanks for any feedback!

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 4
I heard it was normal for most monitors to exhibit a small amount of hiss, due them being more revealing (I think I also once heard it was related to noise floor). If it was just a signal/noise issue, then maybe a higher quality cable would work (balanced instead of unbalanced). I don't really have much to say, because what hiss I have heard is only noticeable when really close to them (right now my speakers are doing it, and sound a bit like soft rain, but it's drowned out by both being far away and the natural noise of life - other machines, etc). Here's a link that may help too: http://support.presonus.com/entries/21500825-Why-am-I-hearing-noise-in-my-studio-monitors-

I haven't heard the KRKs, but I did try their KNS 8400 headphone. That was fatiguing to me as well (the sound was super detailed to the point of revealing uglyness and being forceful). Maybe it has something to do with their sonic signature?

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 4
  Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I just bought a set of new KRK G3 Rokit 5 and hooked it up to a HRT Music Streamer II.  While shopping for the monitors, I compared the KRKs to a pair of Audioengine A5 at the store and found that the KRK had more clarity so I went with the Rokits.  (note: the tests were done without going through a DAC, just a straight plugin to the iPod)

When I got home, I plugged the new set of Rokits into my HRT Music Streamer II and was really looking forward to my new setup.  Everything sounded amazing in the first 10 minutes but then I started getting ear fatigue.  I had the volume set to very low (like 5 in the Windows 7 sound settings) so it's not because of loudness.  I actually find that even at very low volume the Rokits sound very loud.  

I am using regular RCA and USB cables and notice that there is a a small noise (hiss or static sound?) when nothing the monitors are turned on but no music is playing.  

My room is in the basement, not enclosed, and I am sitting approximately 5 feet away from the Rokits.  I even tried turning the volume knob to -10db, the HF to -3db and LF to -3db on the back of the monitors but still experience the same ear fatigue.

Can anyone suggest a solution or maybe explain why this is happening?  Is it placement?  Cables?  It would really be a shame if I have to return these Rokits and go back to my Altec Lansing...that would make me cry...

Thanks for any feedback!

The reason for the hiss is you are using an unbalanced output from your dac to your speakers. These monitors are meant to be powered through the 1/4 or xlr jack as they are less prone to noise. I would suggest getting a dac preamp that supports balanced outputs such as the focusrite http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388109437&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+audio+interface

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 4
And a lot of entry level monitors are going to sound harsh, that's simply the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back