Kristofferson
Jan 26, 2002 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gaineso

Low Frequency Boat Owner
Just got back from Borders with Kristofferson's "The Austin Sessions". Sitting in the home office playing it on the Apex AD-1500, digital out to JVC RX884V Receiver to TA to HD600s.

I know, s**tty source, midfi receiver/DAC, low end amp. If this music was any more involving, any more right here, I might have to go get drunk.

I don't think he ever wrote anything except beer drinkin', cryin' in songs.

Point is, I always heard, and firmly beleived, don't skimp on speakers. If you must economize, do it in amps or something. It seems that really holds for 'phones too. If I played this through the highly rated Denon and an MG Head or Corda or something similar, to crappy phones, I might still wanna beer, but cause crappy cans sound crappy.

I know I will get better sound when I play this on the FL8300, and I know a better amp would also help. But these HD600s can make a fair source sound a lot better than a super source can make fair cans.

Meanwhile, I had just about forgotten how incredible Kris' music is, especially when he performs it. No I didn't say sings. But he definitely knows what he intended to be in it.

"Sunday Morning Coming Down", "Why Me?", "The Silver Tongued Devil", "To Beat the Devil".

Incredible stuff, even on a mid/lofi system.

If you've never really listened to Kristofferson, listen to "Me and Bobby McGee". Janis was good. Kris wrote it.

Yes, I like this music. Always was a fan and really regretted his going Hollywood.

This should probably be in Music, but I do discuss sources. OW

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Thanks for the reminder, Gaines. I just put on Kristofferson's Greatest Hits which I hadn't listened to in quite awhile. Very nice........very personal songwriter and pretty well recorded as well. I think "For the Good Times" and "Sunday Morning Coming Down" are my favorites. Listening on CD3000s and an Earmax Pro makes it even better.
biggrin.gif

BTW......I think this belongs in the Music Forum. Might get more hits. I'll move it there, OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back