Krell SACD Standard 10 minute mini impressions
Feb 13, 2004 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
Hey guys.
I just figured I would let you know that I heard the Krell SACD standard today -- it rocks. I only listened for a few minutes, but it was with a conrad johnson CAV-50 (not mine, but I have the same amp) and Wilson Audio Sofia loudspeakers (surprisingly the CAV-50 actually can drive these well! They have about the same amount of gain as the K1000s, but are about 11500 dollars more and about 160 lbs heavier). The SACD performance was excellent. It has a wonderful sense of air and naturalness. Much much better than the CD layer -- it had far more presence. Bass was deeper and better defined as well. Overall it is excellent, and I recommend anyone have a listen if they are thinking of dropping a bunch of dough on a SACD/CD player.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 6
I think that the Cary 306/200 that you have, blows away the Krell in a Redbook shootout. Also, I spent an hour with the Krell SACD and the Wadia 861, and the Esoteric DV-50, and I thought the Teac was better in every format. The Krell is beautiful, but something was lacking. BTW- I was listening through a MacIntosh amp and pre-amp, into Sonus Faber's Armati Homage speakers in a hi-end stereo store soundroom. Just to make sure, we moved everything over to a Lexicon set-up, and some B&W Nautilus 800's and it yielded the same results.
We also had the Krell SACD, and the Wadia 301, at the NYC Head-fi meet, and most people I talked to, liked the Cary/ Maestrobator combo.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 6
well, I only listened to the CD playback for a minute or two, and it did not sound particularly amazing...SACD did sound heavenly though. I am not surprised that you think the Cary takes it in a redbook shootout though...the thing is a monster. Eight dacs, upsampling, etc. I have yet to hear a CD player that i think is better than it.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 6
I must admit that my opinion is biased. I own a silver 306/200, and besides the Esoteric, I have yet to find a better player in that price range. It works quite nicely with a pair of Cardas Neutral Ref IC's.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Not as monstrous as the CoJo.
biggrin.gif

Any pics of the Krell?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back