Krell SACD - Availability?
Sep 21, 2004 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

smokey

500+ Head-Fier
I noticed that in this months Stereophile the Krell SACD player was dropped from their recommended list due to questions about its availability. Anyone know anything about this? I looked on the Asylum and all everyone there is talking about is a high transport failure rate.

Just curious, as this was supposed to be a fine player from a reputable company.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 6
The Chinese company that built this player was closed back in May. I have no idea about the player or Krell's policies or the availability,etc. The only reason I know about the OEM shutting it's doors is because I met the principals at the 2003 CES and was given a card. I see this happening more often as the companies that build these players are very market driven and will go where the money is. It's really easy for them to violate contracts and such as they just shut down and re-open as a new company. It looks like Krell just got burned.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I evidently got one of the first 20 ever made, and i have no problem
with mine. And it had better stay that way too.

Sep 21, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Wow, I hadn't known this player was built for them in China. Must have been quite the profit margin.

Wouldn't Krell still have to honor their waranty? But I guess then the question would become who would do the work for them.

I wonder if this is what happened to the announced but undelivered Cary SACD player? It was to be even pricier at $6,000.

Sep 21, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 6
When I picked up my Krell 400xi the rep was also dropping off an SACD, DVD Standard and a sub. So I'm not sure about availability. I can call the shop tomorrow and ask. China???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back