Krell KSA 5 Clone (China)
Aug 3, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #31 of 85
it's a diy product, which means each seller builds it themselves, so you might get something well made or something crappy.  That's why I posted the direct link to the guy I got my good clone at.  Transformer upgrades are pretty complex as to why they make a difference.  If you want an unlisted customization you can PM the guy and ask.  At the current price it's going at it's a no brainer though imo

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #32 of 85
I'm using this KSA Klone from China. It drives my hd650 very well and I'm satisfied with it. But recently I bought HE-500, and not quite satisfied with the synergy. It seems that the amp don't have enough power to drive HE-500.

I asked the designer, and he claimed the amp put 1.8w into 32ohm. I don't know if this is enough.

Excuse me for my poor English.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #33 of 85

I modified the stock KSA5 from Aliexpress by adding a Low pass filter beside transformer AC 24V - 0V - 24V which also modified to increase the power.
Polymer Capacitors are put in parallel with high grade capacitors that replace the stock capacitor.
The stock input capacitors are replaced with higher grade ones too.
It now drives He-6s and LCD-2.2 and sounds better than any amp of mines including speaker amps and Gustard H10.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #34 of 85

I modified the stock KSA5 from Aliexpress by adding a Low pass filter beside transformer AC 24V - 0V - 24V which also modified to increase the power.
Polymer Capacitors are put in parallel with high grade capacitors that replace the stock capacitor.
The stock input capacitors are replaced with higher grade ones too.
It now drives He-6s and LCD-2.2 and sounds better than any amp of mines including speaker amps and Gustard H10.

Nice.  Can you you provide a parts list and instructions please?

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #35 of 85
For the enclosure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BZ3207P-Power-amp-box-Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-chassis-preamp-case-high-quality-/321643406574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae370e4ee

For those caps:
1. line stabilizers: Nichicon FW 2200uF 63V Audio Electrolytic Capacitor(golden colored)
2. 1-micro MKP Crossover Metallized Polypropylene Non-Polarized Capacitor (in parallel connection with line stabilizer -red color ones)
3.  input caps, 33 pF/ 220 pF Polystyrene Capacitors
4. Rectification main caps: Japan ELNA FOR AUDIO 10000uF 63V top HIFI audio electrolytic capacitor (under black taping)

Low pass filter before transformer: I think you can search in Aliexpress for line filter.
Transformer, 100 watt 24v -0-24volt transformer for more power to drive He-6s.

You need to replace those caps by simple desoldering and soldering.
The circuit can be downloadable from Ebay or Aliexpress.com, and it tells you how to do...
biggrin.gif

It might be better than more expensive version on Ebay priced 180 USD, which I have too.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #36 of 85
nice

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #37 of 85
  For the enclosure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BZ3207P-Power-amp-box-Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-chassis-preamp-case-high-quality-/321643406574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae370e4ee

For those caps:
1. line stabilizers: Nichicon FW 2200uF 63V Audio Electrolytic Capacitor(golden colored)
2. 1-micro MKP Crossover Metallized Polypropylene Non-Polarized Capacitor (in parallel connection with line stabilizer -red color ones)
3.  input caps, 33 pF/ 220 pF Polystyrene Capacitors
4. Rectification main caps: Japan ELNA FOR AUDIO 10000uF 63V top HIFI audio electrolytic capacitor (under black taping)

Low pass filter before transformer: I think you can search in Aliexpress for line filter.
Transformer, 100 watt 24v -0-24volt transformer for more power to drive He-6s.

You need to replace those caps by simple desoldering and soldering.
The circuit can be downloadable from Ebay or Aliexpress.com, and it tells you how to do...
biggrin.gif

It might be better than more expensive version on Ebay priced 180 USD, which I have too.

Thanks.

That amp enclosure is $72 total.  Goes to show what a great deal this clone is.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #38 of 85
I have been talking to some of the sellers on AliExpress, and apart from the fact that communicating in English is, understandably, not always easy, I am finding it hard to get any of them to agree to customize according to some of specs given above.  The last one I was chatting with said something to the effect that I was asking for too much current/power and that could destroy my headphones, and then he sent me this link:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Headphone-amplifier-Imitation-KRELL-ksa5-line-CPI-full-DC-amp-machine-small-power-output-20W-Class/911703_32240726975.html

Is it saying that this unit outputs 20W?  I can't tell, because the product page does not provide too many specs, or I can't simply understand what little they provide.

The other problem is that I have almost zero expertise in the DIY activities that are listed above...  I have not done any soldering before and wouldn't want to start it now.  I just wish there was  a seller who had a KSA 5 that is fully customized to drive the He-6 optimally.  I would buy it in a heartbeat.  This is just me venting my frustration.

If you think I am misunderstanding something in my communication with this seller, or there is a more auspicious way to go about this, for someone with my non-existent DIY skills, kindly let me know.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 85
the 20w quote is probably for speakers at low ohm.  which is a bad way to calculate power.

When I was encouraging you to ask for a customization I didn't mean randomly chosen untested list of name brand caps and resistors.  Just ask for the 24v talema transformer.

If you're going to be unhappy with an amp because some guy swapped out a cap or resistor and said it sounds better, they do that even for $2k+ amps like eddie current super7.  It sounds better because they expect it to sound better.  

if you need an amp with a high gain he-6 mode, you can get a c2 or nfb1-amp from audiogd and choose from 3, 6 or 9 db extra high gain

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #40 of 85
Some times, stabilization of line can be useless, but usually the stabilization works.
Power line can modulate in the ripples on the line into the signal lines.
Expensive capacitors are not always good but better ones reduces the source impedance so that they reduces the ripples on the signal.
Therefore those concerns about looking for better capacitors are based on science.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #41 of 85
Here is the transcript of an online conversation I have been having with the seller suggested by Uncola.  You need to start reading from the bottom and work your way upward, because the earlier installments of the dialogue are at the bottom.

ai Edward​
21:42 Aug 04,2015​
  1.  ​

yes,Hifman he-6 Headphone, 50 ohm impedance Sensitivity: 83.5dB / mW, Frequency range: 8Hz ~ 65KHz
    Our KsA5 headphone amplifier support:
    Output impedance (Headphone amplifier) 16-600 ohm
      THD + N (THD + Noise): 0.00607% @ 1KHz & 300ohm load
      Signal to Noise Ratio:> 100dB
    KsA5 headphone amplifier power to fully meet the headphones
    Custom transformer 22v voltage version, prices need to increase 50usd

2.  ​

Me​
    21:09 Aug 04,2015​
    You say you tested the Hifman he-6?  How did it sound with the unit?
    Also what revisions will you make to the product, and how much will it cost, finally?
    Let me know.
    P.

3.  ​

ai Edward​
    20:47 Aug 04,2015​

hello
    I am glad to see your letter.
    We sincerely for your service.
    You can change the input voltage.
    24v input voltage can be used, but not too much heat output amplifier boards fit.
    Changes in the most suitable voltage is 22v
    Our company just tested Hifiman HE-6 headphones push, push perfect Hifiman HE-6 headphones.
    If you have a need, please submit your order, we will revise the order price for you.

Me​
    00:22 Aug 04,2015​

4.  ​

I want to buy one of these units that is fit with a 24v Talema transformer...  If you do have one availabe, how do I order it? 
    I would like to use it to drive my hifiman he-6 headphones, and I hope this would do it. 
    Let me know. 
    Patrick
    In my own translation, he seems to be saying that his company has tested the he-6 with the KSA5, and that the amp seems to drive it perfectly.  They're also willing to customize it for me with a 22v transformer, because the 24v one is too powerful for the headphones, and might risk frying it.  The customization will cost an additional $50.

I do not know how to read the technical specs he has provided, so if anyone has any info or useful about them, I would appreciate knowing it.

He does not mention the output power of the unit in Watts. Is there anyway one can deduce that from the information he has given?

I want to say that the extra $50 does not bother me, as long as the unit can drive the He-6 optimally if I buy it.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #42 of 85
You need 24Volt, which will never kill He-6s.
Even 100 watt power amplifier speaker tap will not kill the he-6s due to high impedance.
You can search out and read lots of posting how safe to drive he-6 with power amp of upto 500 watts with little care at initial position of volume knob.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #43 of 85
  You need 24Volt, which will never kill He-6s.
Even 100 watt power amplifier speaker tap will not kill the he-6s due to high impedance.
You can search out and read lots of posting how safe to drive he-6 with power amp of upto 500 watts with little care at initial position of volume knob.
biggrin.gif

I hear you... My thoughts are the same too.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #45 of 85
Anybody can tell an information to find the chassis for KSA-5 below?
The new board does not fit to the usual chassis for old KSA-5.

Quote:
  FYI this guy also claims he's selling a clone, but it seems so different oO :

Im not knowledgeable so maybe im missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back