kramnik vs deep fritz
Oct 22, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know, with normal time limits and no restrictions on the opening book, it is getting harder to exploit computer's subtle positional errors. It would be interesting to have some long term games, e.g. one day per move. But then the humans would be using computers for overnight analysis!

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 5
I have Fritz 6.0 I hate that program, it's impossible to beat. It's like playing god. I got a draw once with a handicap of 3 minutes for me and one minute for it and thats the best I ever did. I never give the POS more than a minute even if I have an hour, it has ten bazillion moves available to it in nano seconds I mean if the friggin thing is using the book you can just kiss your ass goodbye. Whats the point of playing the combined knowledge of hundreds of chessmasters? Bobby Fischer is right chess is played out, theres no more mystery, someone invent a new game. I'm going to go play Go now. The computers still can't play Go. It takes Intuition (whatever that is), Imagination (whatever that is), and the ability to think Abstractly (whatever that is), to honestly go play a good game of Go. Now go play.

Well ok, whenever I want to make myself suicidal I play chess. But only on those special occasions.

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I don't know, with normal time limits and no restrictions on the opening book, it is getting harder to exploit computer's subtle positional errors. It would be interesting to have some long term games, e.g. one day per move. But then the humans would be using computers for overnight analysis!

I agree... You just can't beat a computer for speedy evaluation of possible moves... But if you gave enough time for a truly great player to come up with something inovative, it might be a different game altogether.

Then again, what do I know, I don't play chess any more because it started reminding me WAY too much of my day-to-day life.

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 5
kramnik was convincingly beating fritz in his opening 4 games. he totally dominated those games and showed how easy it is to beat fritz. the idea is to have long term strategy.. to present what may present to fritz as immediate gain but in actual fact is a mistake.

also, fritz moved very fast.. apparently when his hash table runs out there is no point thinking any more.. thus, perhaps deep fritz has already reached its limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back