Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Arvo Part: A little help please?
Jan 23, 2008 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
I know these artists are completely different, but they are somewhat lumped together in my mind because they were all recommended to me at the same time in another thread.

All three are also extremely experimental and it's hard for me to know where to begin. Could you guys recommend me some accessable albums by these three. Where's a good place to start (either album or recommend one over the other). I like indie/alt rock, electronic and some experimental stuff.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 21
Tangerine Dream is some pretty trippy electronica... "Phaedra" creates a foreboding, paranoid landscape in your mind, it's ambient music at its chillingly best.

Kraftwerk is kinda like techno pop circa 1970s. I personally prefer "Computerwelt" to "Trans-Europa Express"... I feel the latter is a bit too repetitive with the same sequence being recycled throughout the album. Btw, if you noticed I used the German names of those albums... I think it's just me but I prefer listening to Kraftwerk in its native language, since I don't understand it and there's an added mystery and eerieness to the music that I think enhances the experience.

If you like those two artists, then I think you might also enjoy Vangelis and perhaps Aphex Twin.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 21
My introduction to Tangerine Dream was through Force Majeure, which is a wonderful trio of soundscapes. For me it's not the kind of music to pop on while doing anything except laying back (especially with headphones) and just soaking it all up. Really nice, trippy stuff.

You may also like CAN.

[EDIT] Actually while I think of it, you may also want to look into "Sextant" by Herbie Hancock.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 21
With Arvo Part there are a couple of good releases on Naxos that provide an inexpensive point of entry: one, called Orchestral Works has Tabula Rasa and the Third Symphony (a very good and overlooked work); the other, called Fratres has multiple versions of the title work and some other minor works including "Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten".

My favourite work by Part, which I've also seen recommended by other Head-fiers, is the Te Deum, which is on an ECM disc with that title. Another good one is the Stabat Mater, which is on an ECM disc with some great filler, called Arbos.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 21
In the case of Pärt, the ECM discs Arbos and Tabula Rasa are where I'd start, and then I'd go on to Passio—though some folks find it overlong. To my hearing, the intensity of the singing transforms repetition into something epic. The best minimalist music always does that.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 21
I always loved those first two Kraftwerk records the most, they came packaged in a 2-LP set from Vertigo way back then, amazing sound, especially the drum kit, almost like you are in the room, cables strung all over the floor. Very cool, but quite strange even today. I'd go with Man-Machine for a more accessible taste, not quite as organic, and some of the synths do sound dated, if you let them, but what a groove. Not a wasted note. Sounds like a greatest hits package today. They really did launch a whole genre, and influence countless artists along the way.

Kraftwerk-Kraftwerk-1-And-2-388918.jpg

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with Man-Machine for a more accessible taste, not quite as organic, and some of the synths do sound dated, if you let them, but what a groove. Not a wasted note.

The versions on Minimum-Maximum are way better and more aggressive IMHO and do not sound dated. That's why I would suggest those new to Kraftwerk to start from that.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The versions on Minimum-Maximum are way better and more aggressive IMHO and do not sound dated. That's why I would suggest those new to Kraftwerk to start from that.

That's fine, it's good to have both ideas out there. I always like to suggest a band be listened to in context for someone new. Like I said, it only sounds dated if you let it. Man-Machine was a visionary record, and stands up today. I actually prefer the original versions of these songs, and the complete feel of the record, but I can certainly appreciate the new angle for someone else. Millions of surf-rock covers floating around too, I think doing "The Model" and "Neon Lights" may be almost obligatory
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know these artists are completely different, but they are somewhat lumped together in my mind because they were all recommended to me at the same time in another thread.

All three are also extremely experimental and it's hard for me to know where to begin. Could you guys recommend me some accessable albums by these three. Where's a good place to start (either album or recommend one over the other). I like indie/alt rock, electronic and some experimental stuff.

Thanks

Brian -- these artists are not completely different. The common thread here is Minimalism, which can be quiet (as with Part) or louder (as with Kraftwerk). There is something very pleasing to the ear/mind about slow shifts in form around a central idea and repetition (not monotony, but repetition).

As Viper suggested, you might really like the Krautrock group Can (checkout Monster Movie or Tago Mago). Also checkout Stereolab, if you haven't already, for more updated groovy motorik riffs.

On the classical side, definitely check out the music of Terry Riley. A solid recording of "In C" is a good starting point. You might also like Steve Reich.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 21
I love Kraftwerk and TG and from Amazon reviews, looks like I should check out Arvo Part.

Personally, I couldn't stand the first two Kraftwerk CDs, but love the rest. I'd suggest Trans-Europe Express or The Man Machine, if you prefer tighter songs, the first two CDs IIRC are more soundscapes without as much direction. Having said that the "Tour De France Soundtracks" has a noticeably "fresher"/better produced sound than the previous stuff. The rest is retro in comparison. As others said, the live album's a good snapshot.

Tangerine Dream - I love Poland the most. Enjoyed Phaedra, which might be more iconic of their style, and have many other albums, but always found Poland the most dynamic and accessible.

You *may* also like some of the following, which to me share similarities to those other bands, either in moods/sounds/themes:
Jean Michel-Jarre - Oxygene (a little more active, but retro synth like Kraftwerk, more upbeat/world-beat).
Ozric Tentacles - not minimalism in any sense (psychedelic 70s rock), but synth heavy and very background-ish - you can easily tune out to it. No vocals.

Damn.... too much music, not enough hours in the day!

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 21
i always thought Trans Europe Express sounds fresh even today while The Man Machine sounds dated by today's standard. The Man Machine sounds really sparse and cold while Trans Europe Express sounds more organic and natural. i also love the chugging railroad rhythms on the title track. i think Computer World has also aged better than The Man Machine, i think it has to do with more complex rhythm tracks and electronic percussion in comparison.

as for the music themselves, TEE also wins in favour in my opinion as it has a more satisfying and complete concept and package... the glitz, glamour, and the endless nights of Europe. not that TMM is bereft of concept (the meshing of the modern city and the rise of technological culture) but it's one of those rare Kraftwerk albums that doesn't have any of the songs relate or segue into each other.

i can listen to "Trans-Europa Express - Metall auf Metall - Abzug" non-stop days on end... the 13 1/2 minute long piece (which has many different movements if you can count and identify them) isn't nearly long enough for me.

as for the first two albums from Kraftwerk proper (not counting KW1, KW2, Ralf und Florian), i'd pick Radioactivity (i love the title track and "Airwaves")over Autobahn ("Kometenmelodie 2" is quite nice).

Minimum-Maximum could be a nice start, but like someone said, i much prefer the original versions. come to think of it, many of the songs from Minimum-Maximum uses the style established on The Mix album, where they rerecorded (i'm not calling them remixes for a reason) many of their more well known songs in 1991. how do you guys feel about The Mix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back