Kpop and full sized headphones for home.
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zoossh

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have read a few threads on the above topic, but would like to ask for advices to help narrow down the models i read. 

Priority : Comfort > Durability > Sound quality > Price
Type of music: Upbeat Kpop (rap, vocal, techno and some bass)
Devices: Computer with asus soundcard
Comfort required: Soft padding (preferably circumaural) that does not press so much on the ears and do not easily get sweaty/hot 

I have shortlisted a number of brands and models, looking at something between US$150-$350
are also opened to variants of these models with better comfort and quality

1. AKG K701 at USD 244
2. Audio Technica ATH-A900 at USD 200
3. Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO at USD 205
4. Denon AHD2000 at USD 277
5. Sennheiser HD 558 or 598 at USD 180-250

hopefully can narrow down to three of them so that i can try to audition them without causing too much trouble for the sales people. does anyone had experience with any of them or similar music genre/similar headphone 

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

I'd put you on the Beyer DT770 or the Denon D2000, even if we were just talking comfort. The Denon is probably the most comfortable out of the lot in my opinion. The Beyer however is probably the most durable out of all of them. The DT770 is built like a tank. Absolutely durable. It's also comfortable. It also will do the genres you're looking for very well. So perhaps the DT770 is the way to go for you. Pair it with something like a Fiio E10 or iBasso DZERO unless you're happy with your current soundcard (since you didn't list what model number it is, can't assume it's a DG or STX right?).

Very best,

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 6
honestly, denon and akg are the ones that set my eyes on them - beautiful stuff. i'm phasing out Audio Technica while still looking at sennheiser. and for beyer, i'm also considering DT880 either 250 or 600ohm versions. 

however, my collections are 80% of lower quality from youtubes, converted to mp3 vbr mostly to 130 to 320kbit/s. i didn't consider flac and other formats to make them more generic for computer, itunes, iphone use. the other 20% are from CDs and genre are more towards vangelis and enya, while my youtube sources are now forward vocal / rap which need more punches while being clear, rather than smooth and bright. i constantly worry if the device i get is less forgiving on these lower quality mp3 

i recently audition a few swans speakers and eventually move away from the better known m200mkiii swan studio mod, and instead went for the swan H5 that had a more boomy punch while keeping the clarity for my type of music. 

i wonder if the above info will further help to exclude headphone that is too analytical, less lively and less forgiving

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Heya,

Low quality youtube rips, regardless of what you rip them to, are still low quality.

The AKG's will expose every bit of compression from them, and sound like compressed music.
The DT880's will also expose the flaws big time.
The D2000's will also have you hearing a lot of the compression too.
The DT770 may be a little more forgiving of source, but will still expose badly compressed youtube audio for what it is.

Frankly, any good headphone is going to make ripped youtube stuff sound pretty meh unless you're just happy with the sound (in which case, there's no point getting $300ish headphones).

Denon would fit the bill, but they're not quite as durable as the Beyers. The DT770's still may be your better bet. If you're willing to get lossless audio and rebuilt your music collection, then maybe DT880.

Very best,

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 6
thanks, mal. beyers is really boomy, but in the end i had chosen denon d2000. i tried the ibasso d-zero but wasn't really happy with it, as in the difference was subtle. i'm considering pico slim or headstage arrow, though both of which is much more expensive than ibasso d-zero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back