Koss was my first love
Apr 6, 2006 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

franzdom

500+ Head-Fier
I got my first headphones in about 1973. They were a pale green Koss, with water filled pads, and they were heavy. Does anyone remember them? I have no idea what model they were. They sounded great to me.

I have recently bought a set of V6's, I believe it's my second set, having had a set in the 90's that I enjoyed. I am a definite gearhead though so I think I am going to go down the slippery slope with your help
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first post, having recently rediscovered a love of headphones, I am really glad to have found this forum, I enjoy forums, having spent way too much time and money learning about photography on FredMiranda.

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 34
Well, yes it was and actually it was oil, but it felt like water.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 34
no idea...
The koss www museum has some nice pics and info on vintage models. Pro4x plus were my first headphones in the mid-80s, but they certainly wer not water filled.

Might want to try emailing them too.

good luck,
Garrett

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 34
koss 4AAT was my passion after the KTX-1

unfortunately i had to return it because i hadnt an amp

thing also has a deathsqueeze on your head and face

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Note the lightbulbs on the side to tell you if it's clipping (which you can't actually see while you're wearing them).

are you serious??
Where I dont see em?

I didn't think headphones did the lightbulb trick. Ive seen some car audio tweeter passive crossovers with lightbulbs in them. The wire filiment would heat up and glow when the current / voltage exceeded a certain value. The filament resistance would increase proportionally to the amount of excess power, and attenuate the power going to the tweeter.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
are you serious??
Where I dont see em?

Those clear plastic dome thingies near the cable entrance. There's a lightbumb in there.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by franzdom
I got my first headphones in about 1973. They were a pale green Koss, with water filled pads, and they were heavy. Does anyone remember them? I have no idea what model they were. They sounded great to me.

I have recently bought a set of V6's, I believe it's my second set, having had a set in the 90's that I enjoyed. I am a definite gearhead though so I think I am going to go down the slippery slope with your help
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first post, having recently rediscovered a love of headphones, I am really glad to have found this forum, I enjoy forums, having spent way too much time and money learning about photography on FredMiranda.

Cheers!

Did they look something like this?

muspics70s_prod_01_lg.jpg

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 34
And then there was:

muspics70s_prod_12_lg.jpg

Had the pro4AA first around 73-74 until the pro4AAA came out. Had to have those to go off to college and get into college radio. After college, when I got my first real job, headphones went in the closet and I bought my first pair of Magnepan loudspeakers. I guess my wife put up with LOUDspeakers for 20 years and had enough. Now I do a lot of headphone listening again.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back